View Single Post
Old Sep 18 2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Jovian
Threadbait

Fan of: Talent series
Default Re: Of Towers and Primes - or, Where Are They Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post
I'm not too knowledgeable about the ex-hiver worlds, but you seem correct with the rest of it.

There's also Zara, but she's a medical Prime.

Altair still has Bastian and Maharanjani as far as we know...although I wouldn't be surprised to see Flavia eventually take over.
Hmm, yeah, that would make a lot of sense. I think I'll put her on Altair, thanks for the suggestion! =)

Poor Zara... I still have so many issues about the way she was treated (not to mention characterised!) Being labeled as a 'defective prime' just because she was more suited to being a medic/scientist than sitting on her ass and lobbing junk around the galaxy all day *grumbles*

Quote:
I'm not sure that Jeran or Cera had any Primes, though. But then again, even though it doesn't specifically mention it...it also doesn't say they *didn't* so that's up to you and your fic. (But it just seems odd that Damia and Afra's progeny are getting tossed everywhere and yet they don't meet up with Prime-level first cousins who would roughly be contemporaries. To me, that suggests that there aren't any, and that Jeff needs to put Afra and Damia under a microscope to see why every single friggin' kid they had was Prime in some way.)
Well, Jeran's oldest was Barry (a potential Prime), and he was only just old enough to be utilised in an official FT&T capacity at the end of the last book. If any of his younger siblings were also high talents, they'd still most likely be at home and in training, the same as Ewain and Petra. I imagine the same could go for Cera's kids, she was still trying out various boyfriends well after Damia hooked up with Afra. I do remember reading that all of Jeran and Cera's kids were high talents/potential primes, but can't remember where that reference is for the life of me. I think that Damia (and Larak!!) just started breeding a number of years before their older siblings, so the kids' ages are somewhat offset, and it's not surprising that Laria/Thian/Rojer didn't have much contact with them during their wandering days.

But yes, Damia's 100% Prime popout rate certainly seems suspicious to me - I suspect she did some tinkering (either consciously or unconsciously), like what'shername Horvath.

Quote:
Granath's Towerdex is very solid. She's awesome to have put it together!
It is an absolutely invaluable reference, particularly for a fanfic writer =D I just wish it wasn't purple - I constantly flip windows at my desk and my office is open plan, so I'm sure people wander by and wonder what the heck that purple site is, because it doesn't really look like a coding reference site ^_-

Quote:
The planets that were ex-Hiver I doubt will get permanent Towers right away unless for some reason one of the planets becomes surprisingly important. Probably will have facilities for when Primes are needed, such as at the initial colonization, but no long-haulers like Laria or Damia or Jeran. So I'd count anyone stationed there as being flexible...ie, Jeff would move them at a moment's notice.
Yeah, that sounds quite reasonable. I could imagine that they get lower-level talents to keep communications and trade going (much like Vagrian on Iwojima), but have to wait in line for an actual Prime. If I remember correctly, at the time of the Rowan, Deneb wasn't scheduled for one for 100 years, until Jeff came along and demanded it as a condition of his tenure. But then, there were many many fewer Primes in those days than nowabouts.
Jovian is offline   Reply With Quote