View Single Post
Old Jan 18 2008, 11:37 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Future Time Measurement

This was a facinating read...and I appauld all these post. These are the best kinds of book discussions... when we get to probe the depths and mysteries of a wonderful story in such interesting discussions.

I have often wondered just how much intelligence AIVAS really had. To be able to manipulate a whole population, he truly must have been much more than just a futuristic computer system...but one that was capable of independant thought...one that could change it's plans, so that they would work even with the disruptions and mistakes from the mere humans he had to work with.

I would expect that the Pernese would be able to see the Red star passing close to Pern for at least what would have been known at the 10 pass if thread would have still been falling. After that I would more than likely passed out of rang of the Star Stones to predict or see it's coming.

As far as using Turn, Pass, interval...etc I would think that these types of
terms would end up being discarded as time passed, when they had little or no meaning. The term *Year* was being use during them time of AIVAS...so I see that continuing...along with many of the other things that he corrected them on.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote