View Single Post
Old Mar 21 2018, 04:45 PM   #4561
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing
Default Re: What is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
Thanks for the logical explanation, Allen. The problem is now fixed. I didn't have access to a compressor, but thought of a camera lens cleaner that I owned years ago which consisted of a very soft brush attached to a rubber puffer and decided to see if the local camera shop had one. It didn't, but a nearby computer and white ware shop had something very similar which had the puffer and brush separately and that worked just fine. I didn't even have to risk pulling the keys off to get under them. A bonus was a gold card (pensioner) discount of $6.51 on something that only cost $20.00 in the first place! so zzz & ??? work just fine.

Computer shop A which told me I needed a new computer and computer shop B which tried to sell me a keyboard will not see me again.
Dust & stuff off your body is insidious. It will get into almost anything..... well, actually, everything. I don't care how good of a housekeeper you are (or think you are...LOL) the very skin of your body sloughs off as it dies and gets into things beyond belief..... more on that in a moment. Even if there is no monumental buildup in the area immediately under the keys, the nearly microscopic particles will seep down along the shaft that the physical keys are attached to and build up where you need it least; the contact that is actuated by the pressing of the key. Modern typists are used to electronic keyboards and the very gentle touch they take. As the crud builds up, it insulates the contacts hidden in the internals of the keyboard. That's why sometimes a hard strike on a key will make it work when your regular typing didn't. I learned to type on a manual typewriter, so today, over 50 years later, I still "pound" the keys by comparison to younger people. So I notice less interference from that buildup than most.

Regular vacuuming of your electronics is not recommended by the manufacturers because of the chance of static discharge caused by the cleaner's motor and moving parts. But if you make sure the electronics are completely shut down, including not forgetting to shut off the wireless keyboard and mouse, and even unplugging the item (television, COMPUTER, DVD player, and so on) will negate almost 100% of the chance of static discharge damage.

Moderate air pressure up to about 20 or 30 psi will do a much better job of dislodging the crud, which will then be easier to vacuum out/up. Same applies about static, as well as the chance of moisture carried along with the air pressure; moisture is condensed by the compression of the air, and more is formed when that pressure is suddenly released.