View Single Post
Old Mar 27 2009, 06:38 PM   #88
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping
Default Re: Who is Elizabeth Kerner?

Hiya folks.

I do try not to get too upset about comments on my work, or I'd spend all my time being ticked off! That said, this post contains a rant. Do not read it if you are at all sensitive.

I confess, DragonDance, that had I been writing now instead of in 1995, I would have done things differently at the end of Song in the Silence. I'm a bit embarrassed by the Deus ex Machina aspect myself - I guess I should have left all the explanation/rationalization out, and just gone with what happened. I didn't feel that the Lady actually intervened - something else was happening with Akhor's transformation, which a later book will explain. It's not like the Goddess stepped in and waved a hand and said 'ok, Marik is gonna lose it and you'll get back safely'. Though I would try to do it more elegantly these days! Still, in all honestly, I have found that there are times in life when one appears to hear a voice, whatever source you finally decide to attribute it to, and you deny or ignore that voice at your soul's peril.

That said, Jube, I must confess that I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm What did the Winds or the Lady do in Redeeming the Lost? How did the Goddess in any way change the outcome of anything in that book? As far as I recall, that was all the doing of the characters themselves. True, some of them went and prayed, but that's entirely human. Are you familiar with the saying "There are no atheists in the trenches"? That's where the characters were, on the edge of despair and scared to bits.

Can't blame the Winds or the Lady for Akhor's transformation back to human, that just happened. I'm quite willing to take reasoned criticism, fair enough, but I simply can't relate what you have said to any specific parts of the book as it stands. Clarify, please?

*Rant warning*

Do not read if you are easily annoyed. And I'm really pretty ticked. Don't read this, Jube, honestly, if you are likely to be insulted at my response to your comments.

The one comment that has really upset me is your 'good triumphs over evil again'. Did you read the classification of the book? It's Fantasy.

Let me tell you now, if "the good guys win" bothers you, I can save you a bit of cash, or indeed a trip to the library. You never need to read anything I write ever again, and in fact you can give most of fantasy fiction a miss. The good guys will always win in the end, in my books, even if there are casualties or tragedies along the way. That's why it's called 'fantasy'. Life is tough enough without filling people's souls with more darkness. I don't read dystopic fiction and I don't write it, though there are plenty who do.

What, should Frodo have pushed Gollum into the fires of Mount Doom and gone on to be the shortest Dark Lord in the history of Middle Earth? Or should Frodo have died in torment while Sauron went on to overthrow the Lords of the West, those poor souls but great hearts who had knowingly risked all their lives to offer themselves as a diversion, to aid Frodo's quest? To paraphrase Tolkien himself - Minas Tirith, turned into a mirror of Minas Morgul, grinning across the broken ruins of Osgiliath at each other. I guess it would make an interesting world for some to read about, one ruled by evil intent, by hate and selfish greed. However, I would have thrown the entirety of Lord of the Rings across the room, or burned it, if it had ended thus.

The great Quest is about hope, about growth, about self-sacrifice and loyalty and being good and honest and true, when being so is not the easiest of options. Otherwise there is no merit in it. If you come out of the darkness of the quest with only darkness to report, you have failed in your quest and you might just as well have stayed underground. If you bring darkness out with you and it infects others, then you are not only a failure, you are a disease that must be fought.

Now heaven knows I don't rank myself with Tolkien, or anywhere near. However, rare is the fairy tale in which the princess dies rather than saving her beloved, or the prince is eaten by the giant while trying to save his father/ beloved/ brothers. That's not the message of this kind of story.

If the good guys can't even win in a fantasy novel, what hope is there for any of the rest of us in all of life?

And in this, I am truly

Lanen Kaelar