View Single Post
Old Jul 20 2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight (24) - Dragonriders of Pern TV Cel & Tshirt

As most of you know, in 1999 Alliance Atlantis and Zyntopo were close to putting the Dragonriders of Pern on TV. It was a much hoped for event that, unfortunately, was ended just before casting was to be done.
They did give away a cel from their production though. They actually gave away 25 cels, each signed by Anne. I was lucky enough to win a copy!

I was rather surprised by the darkness of the planet. I guess it could be an evening view or maybe early morning with the dragons and riders greeting the morning sun. (I like the second idea the best) I'm also guessing that the large planet is the Red Star, it's not too red, but probably wouldn't be really a dark red. Could that be F'lar and Lessa in the corner? What do you think of the portrayal of Pern?

Another TV show collectible is the Dragonriders of Pern t-shirt given away at DragonCon in 1999. There were 1000 of the shirts made.

Front of the tshirt - it says Dragonriders of Pern with a stylized dragon in the middle.

Back of the tshirt - it has pern.com at the top (tho the site no longer exists as it did then) and the company logos below.

In addition, the Dragon Riders computer game was optioned to Groliers. They did manage to get the game out at least. This collector does not own a copy of the Grolier game, but is working to set that to rights. I do have the other game formats tho, both board game versions, the book game and Commodore 64 game version. Sorry, I digress....

I remember after the TV show was canceled that there were some actual models of the characters that came up for auction on eBay. I was rather shocked that they could sell that stuff and emailed Anne about them. She told me that she didn't think those sorts of things were to be sold, they were property of Zyntopo or Alliance Atlantis. Oh, how I wish I'd had the money to purchase some of those models! (the technical term is maquette, I believe, thanks to Cheryl for supplying the term when I couldn't remember it!) Although, now that I think on it, I thought it rather tacky that they were being sold and wouldn't have bought them if I'd had the money.

Let's hope that the new movie deal will actually come to a theater near us soon! And there will be wonderful new Pern toys to collect!!!

Update - to add the Dragonriders of Pern Game and TV show post cards......

the Black post card is the one from the TV show that never made it. And the other is the card for the Grolier Game.

The TV show card is blank and the Dragonrider Game card has a post card section with the web address for the game updates, which is no longer a valid web site. There is also a stub that could be torn from the post card and turned in to the Grolier booth to join the Dragonflight News List.

These are not signed by Anne, obviously, but the ones I've got that are signed are in with the drawing of Anne that I did.

So that makes a pretty complete DragonCon 1999 Dragonflight collectible list. Oh, wait! I just thought of one other Dragonflight related giveaway. No photo of it will be put up tho. It is a shortened version of Dragonflight that Del Rey gave away. Their booth was right next door to the Atlantis Alliance booth for the TV show. I think it contains a chapter from Dragonflight or something like that, I don't remember. (tho if I happen to think of it tomorrow I'll check, too tired right now. y'all are lucky I did the pics of the post cards) I'm off to get some !

Last edited by Becky; Jul 22 2006 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Update to add Post Cards
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote