View Single Post
Old Mar 28 2009, 08:41 AM   #92
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping
Default Re: Who is Elizabeth Kerner?

Thanks for the support, folks. As you can tell, this is something I feel passionately about. I too have known heroes in the real world, and sometimes they fight and fall, through no fault of their own, and we who are left are devastated. Fantasy is called escapist fiction, and some condemn it as such - but the writer who kick-started most of modern fantasy, Tolkien himself, says in his essay "On Fairy Story":

"I have claimed that Escape is one of the main functions of fairy-stories, and since I do not disapprove of them, it is plain that I do not accept the tone of scorn or pity with which 'Escape' is now so often used. ... Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or, if he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls? ... In using Escape in this way, the critics have chosen the wrong word, and, what is more, they are confusing, not always by sincere error, the Escape of the Prisoner with the Flight of the Deserter."

Darn, he was terrific. That's it in a nutshell. By the way, do look out that essay, it is a fascinating and very intelligent look at fairy story and its place in the modern world. It can be found in The Tolkien Reader, bundled together with Leaf by Niggle (a disarmingly simple tale with a very powerful point) and other works. Well worth the dough.

Anyway - thanks for the support. I appreciate it.