A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   All the Rest (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Coelura (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=1946)

bingley Jan 11 2006 02:30 AM

The Coelura

I've just read The Coelura, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has all the features I like in the Pern books I've read -- the description of a "strange new world, new life and new civilization", all those things Star Trek promises and too often fails to deliver. As usual, when I'd finished the book I wanted to know more about these people.

I notice that in Cheryl's list of the other books that Nimisha's Ship is grouped with The Coelura. Do any of the characters from The Coelura appear in Nimisha's Ship or are they just set in the same universe?

Gidget2 Jan 11 2006 08:31 AM

Re: The Coelura

Hi Bingley.

The 2 books are ostensibly set in the same series, yes, but no characters appear in both books. The only way that I can see they are related (having not read The Coelura for a long long time now) is that Nimisha mentions having a Coelura weaving being given to her.

Other than that, as far as I can remember, there are no cross-overs!

Cheryl Jan 11 2006 09:48 AM

Gidget is correct. The two books are set in the same universe with body-heirs and tattos for the ultra-rich, and coelura weavings are mentioned in Nimisha's Ship -- but otherwise nothing crosses over between the two of them.

Nimisha's Ship is a good read on it's own, and you will learn more about the cultural/societal practices around body heirs and their tattoos from the book.

Lady Maelin Feb 13 2006 11:39 PM

I just finished the Coelura, about two weeks ago, and I was very suprised that there were not more of these related stories. The Coelura was such a short story to be so packed with action, and intruge. I am going to read Nimisha's Ship, next. I loved the drawing that were in my little copy. And the photo of Anne is the best in my opinion, that was on her book covers.

Becky Apr 19 2006 01:52 AM

I too like the artwork in the book. Some people don't care for it, but I think it was great to see all the descriptions come to life. My favorite picture for The Coelura is the Book Club dust jacket. I love that picture! :)

Cheryl Apr 19 2006 07:58 AM

That one is my favorite too Becky! For those that don't know it, look here.

Becky Apr 20 2006 01:54 AM

That cover pic is so unreal! It's beautiful, but so unrealistic! Her hair alone would be so heavy as to be hardly able to hold her head up. But I still love it. :)

kindan Nov 8 2011 12:36 PM

I just finished this book. I believe I found a copy of the first illustrated edition. I have to say, I love the size of the hardcover, the size of the font, the pacing of the pictures and the fact that it's a shorter story. It made for a nice in-one-day read. As a big comic art fan, which somewhat applies here, I think the artist did a marvelous job most of the time. Some of the ones that incorporated text came across as dated, but I didn't mind that. I really liked the jacket for it too, it felt very fairy tale-ish and that'll lead me to the content.

This was a wonderful merging of a sci-fi concept with a fantasy fairy tale. I really enjoyed the hunting society and the body-heir contracts. That was a very cool dynamic. The heart of the improbable romance was a little cheesy and definitely felt late 70s early 80s in writing, but if I didn't like that, I wouldn't be reading these books, would I? I think as a character, Caissa felt very similar to Sara from Restoree, being flung into situations beyond her understanding or control, yet inadvertantly being part of the solutions through her romance.