A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Café Archives (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Publishers (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8544)

Lily Mar 11 2012 04:43 PM

Publishers

Can we have a bit of a talk about publishers please.

Should all books note who first published it?
Is it likely to have been picked up by another publisher?

My copy of "Three Women" has the following :

A Tor Book
Published by Tom Doherty Associates, Inc
49 West 24th Street
New York, N.Y. 10010

Tor is a registered trademark of Tom Doherty Associates, Inc.

First Tor edition : January 1992

Is A Puzzlement! - I'd love to know how the system works

Anareth Mar 11 2012 08:04 PM

Re: Publishers

Tor is (going on this) an imprint of Tom Doherty Associates. Imprints are the subsections of publishing houses--a way of branding. Tor is a fantasy imprint, Pyr (part of Prometheus) handles dark fantasy, high fantasy, and steampunk...it's a branding thing. Usually on the 'credit' page they have to indicate both who the original publisher was and who the publisher of this edition is. One place where it often switches is from hardback to paperback, or when the book is an older one and getting reprinted. Also sometimes when a book's been in print for years, the publishing house has been absorbed by a larger publisher.

But yes, it's important to indicate who the legal publisher is.

Kath Mar 12 2012 02:08 AM

You'll often see in paperbacks how other versions were published elsewhere first. The UK corgi paperbacks of Anne's books all list the first UK publication as the Bantam/Transworld hardcover.

It's pretty standard stuff.

[Sheesh. Post-migraine fingers. Have literally had to edit every third word for typos.]

P'ter Mar 12 2012 05:59 AM

I must have a permanent migraine trhen! :D

Hans Mar 14 2012 11:05 AM

The system of publishing houses and imprints seems simple but isn't :)

But yes, it is important to be able to read the printing history of a book. At least, I think so.
The fact that it is a world with lots of takeovers and mergers, large and small, doesn't make understanding older books' history any easier...

Kath Mar 14 2012 01:18 PM

My Dad's book was published by Chatham. Which was bought out. And then the buyers were bought out by Pen and Sword. P&S are bringing out a re-issue, but it'll still be under the Chatham name, I think.

I'll be interested to see the print history page, when the new version is out, anyway! But I'm pretty sure they're going to keep things simple by maintaining the old name as llong as it lasts.

The new cover is super - can't wait to plug it once I'm allowed to! [Links go to the older version...]