A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Exhibit Hall (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Art: Dragon Rising (non-Pern) (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8189)

tatiana Apr 16 2011 02:19 PM

Art: Dragon Rising (non-Pern)

http://tygriffin.brinkster.net/image...agonrising.jpg

This is a digital illustration that I did late last year, primarily as a self-promotional piece for my trip to IlluxCon 3. This month I'm working on a couple of new dragon illustrations that are less "modern" for small press POD book covers that I would like to share in a few weeks when they've been approved. One is for middle grade readers to young adult, the other is for adult/general fantasy so they're in somewhat different styles.

You can see some of my other fantasy work, some of which are sketches or art in progress over on my sketchblog (link below) or my DeviantArt gallery here:
http://tygriffin.deviantart.com/gallery/

And, yes, I'm still working on some Pern related illustrations whenever I have free time...
:)

mawra Apr 16 2011 07:43 PM

Re: Art: Dragon Rising (non-Pern)

Very nice. Have you ever done a pic of a wolf with wings? My daughter wants a pic of a winged wolf for her room. She is looking for one with icy blue eyes and wings.

kevia Apr 16 2011 08:31 PM

That's great, Tatiana!! You're very talented!

tatiana Apr 16 2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawra (Post 175023)
Very nice. Have you ever done a pic of a wolf with wings? My daughter wants a pic of a winged wolf for her room. She is looking for one with icy blue eyes and wings.

Thanks, Mawra!

A wolf with wings? Griffins, dragons, Pegasus, angels...but I haven't had a request or project for that one before so I'd have to say no, or at least not yet. But you never know with fantasy stories -- maybe I'll do a wolf with wings one day. :)

t

tatiana Apr 16 2011 08:45 PM

Thank you, Kevia! :)

Samsara Apr 17 2011 09:15 AM

Very nice Tatiana!

I especially like that this Dragon is quite original looking. It has a really beautiful face, and I love the expression in the eyes.

It's really great work. I like it! :good:

Hans Apr 17 2011 10:56 AM

That is fantastic work Tatiana! I like the dragon very much because it showed me a "new take" on a dragon head, very orginal. And I know that is very hard to do with dragons. The whole scene is great, shows wonderful perspective and there coud be a whole story behind it :)

Only crit: I would have expected the dogs to have backed up, more on their haunches (unless the dragon is a know friend of course... there's a bit of the story aready :))

Great work! What program was this created with?

jube Apr 18 2011 03:31 AM

Wonders if it's a Water Dragon .. I like it too, thought it was quite well done in all areas of the story's perspective - a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Golden Talisath Apr 18 2011 03:45 PM

Very nicely done!:good::good:

tatiana Apr 18 2011 08:58 PM

@Samsara, Hans, jube and Golden Talisath -- thank you for your kind words!

I have been trying to find my own dragon "style", and this has been the closest so far, I think. I did have my own story in mind while I was working on this, but I still wanted each viewer to hopefully come up with their own interpretation, or be curious about what led up to that particular moment I captured, or wonder what might happen next. It helped bring about some nice conversations at my art table at the conference. :)

@Hans: I painted this in Photoshop 7 using mostly basic brushes and lots of tiny strokes. When I finally got tired of painting every leaf, I made a custom brush to move along a little faster on the background. :bouncy:

- t

Lady Maelin Apr 18 2011 10:37 PM

Tatiana...Your work is very lovely...I hope your new book cover projects work
out well for you, it sounds like interesting work...especially the ones for the
childrens book, as I think they will also really enjoy your artwork.
Thanks for sharing...

tatiana Apr 19 2011 04:23 PM

Thanks, Lady Maelin! :)

Rianne Apr 19 2011 06:59 PM

it's beautiful!

mara Apr 20 2011 10:33 AM

I keep coming back here to see that wonderfull dragon and his (hers?) surroundings. Great job!

vyon Apr 23 2011 07:25 AM

I love it. Thanks for sharing it.

tatiana Apr 24 2011 07:07 PM

Thank you Rianne, mara and vyon! :)

granath May 26 2011 06:45 AM

Lovely! Very well done. Would make a fantastic book cover. :D

Do you use a tablet? I can't imagine getting that sort of control with a mouse...