A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   All the Rest (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anne's book dedications (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=3236)

Cheryl Oct 26 2006 10:35 AM

Anne's book dedications

I've got a listing of all the dedications in Anne's books on my general McCaffrey site, along with explanations where known. Thanks to people contacting me with information, I've just been able to update a couple of them:

Ring of Fear is dedicated to Elsie Lee, whom I've learned was an author of suspensful romance novels (much as Ring of Fear is). How they knew each other is not known.

Alchemy and Academe is dedicated to three people, and I've now learned information about a second one of them. Nancy Hood Brown was a friend of Anne's from college, and wrote for a newspaper before her tragic death in 1967.

Cheryl Oct 26 2006 12:33 PM

Re: Anne's book dedications

These are the dedications that I am still in search of information for (many are partly explained in the dedication, but not necessarily Anne's connection to them):

Alchemy & Academe: Nancy Graves Bache

Cooking Out of This World: Katherine Robinson

Stitch in Snow: Sheila, Mic and Eric Simonson

Dino Planet Survivors: Jeannie Cox

Killashandra: Ron and Chris Massey of the Tidmarsh Stud

The Lady: Robert Richard Evans

Freedom's Landing: Judy Voros

Freedom's Challenge: Joe Mulcahy

Tower and the Hive: Graham Hamilton

Acorna's People: Ryk Reaser

Acorna's World: Andy Logan

Acorna's Search: Nelda Wythe and Doris Saario

Acorna's Triumph: Connie Johnson

(and possibly later books, I haven't updated the list for a couple years now)

P'ter Oct 26 2006 03:13 PM

Working on the Masseys.

Would it be possible for Hans or you to ask Anne if Nancy Graves Bache WAS in fact Nancy Cunard? I can't find a contact link for her.

edith Oct 26 2006 04:59 PM

oooh... did you know that Anne and Isaac Asimov both dedicated a book to Judy Del Rey.
The Asimov one was in memoriam and was in I think, I'm pretty certain but don't have the book handy, that it's in Foundation and Earth.

granath Oct 28 2006 07:21 AM

Connie Johnson? Would that be a grandchild? What's Alec's wife called? I'm afraid I have only a very vague idea of her family relations, but even I know that her married name was Johnson.

edith Oct 28 2006 02:33 PM

Andy Logan?
There's an artist called Andrew Logan.
He does lots of things with mirrors in. He lives in the next village from me.
http://www.andrewlogan.com/

P'ter Oct 28 2006 03:13 PM

Heard back from the Tidmarsh Stud, thanks to Fiona Harter.

It's a dressage training centre and arab stud farm.

Ron and Chris retired about 19 years ago and their current whereabouts is unknown to the stables (or even if they are still alive).

It is suggested that if Anne was wanting info on arabs (for book or R.L.) then Chris was a very logical choice of person to go to.

The equine dedicatees were all members of Chris' stud and their plaques are still around.

Fiona says that they were also mentioned in Dick in "Photo Finish" as Chris was also a photographer. Problem: there is no such book. The one to do with photography is called "Reflex". I'll have to re-read it. The only other logical choice is "Flying Finish" which is about equine transport.

Pam Oct 31 2006 11:00 AM

Its highly likely that the Acorna books may be dedicated to friends of Elizabeth Ann Scarborough as opposed to Anne, or at least she would know. I'll e-mail and find out.

Chimaerrha Oct 31 2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granath (Post 52050)
Connie Johnson? Would that be a grandchild? What's Alec's wife called? I'm afraid I have only a very vague idea of her family relations, but even I know that her married name was Johnson.

http://mccaffrey.srellim.org/dedications.htm

Her name is Kate.

"Kate was the wife of McCaffrey's son Alec Johnson (now divorced). They have two children, Eliza and Amelia"

Greenrider Tresa Oct 31 2006 10:17 PM

Well, Johnson is a pretty common surname...

granath Nov 1 2006 06:11 AM

It is, and thanks for the info.

I'm sorry I can't help with any of the others.

Analog6 Apr 26 2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P'ter (Post 52073)
Heard back from the Tidmarsh Stud, thanks to Fiona Harter.

It's a dressage training centre and arab stud farm.

Ron and Chris retired about 19 years ago and their current whereabouts is unknown to the stables (or even if they are still alive).

It is suggested that if Anne was wanting info on arabs (for book or R.L.) then Chris was a very logical choice of person to go to.

The equine dedicatees were all members of Chris' stud and their plaques are still around.

Fiona says that they were also mentioned in Dick in "Photo Finish" as Chris was also a photographer. Problem: there is no such book. The one to do with photography is called "Reflex". I'll have to re-read it. The only other logical choice is "Flying Finish" which is about equine transport.

Err - how did we get onto Dick Francis here? It's interesting to me, as I have all his books, but I just wondered if a post has gone missing somewhere . . . ?

jube Apr 27 2011 03:46 AM

Maybe it's the laws of 6 degrees of seperation - you know Joe, Joe knows Sam, Sam knows Katie, Katie knows Joan, Joan knows Felicity, Felicity knows me. It is possible that Dick Francis met these people and was after information, in much the same way that Anne McCaffrey was after information so hence the dedications.

P'ter Apr 27 2011 02:11 PM

Not really a missing post. Just a jump from post #2.

Quote:

Cheryl: Killashandra: Ron and Chris Massey of the Tidmarsh Stud