A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Collecting Highlights Archives (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Collecting Highlight (49) - Season's Greetings (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=3801)

Hans Apr 11 2007 04:43 PM

Collecting Highlight (49) - Season's Greetings

Wrong time of year you say? You are quite right but sometimes you hardly have time to write a Collecting Highlight but still want to... so, you need to come up with a "trick" :)
Don't get me wrong, I think this is a real collectors item but... I have never seen one for sale and it certainly is collectible but the story and data can be mercifully short :)

I received this card from Anne a few years ago. The card doesn't say when and I forgot which year exactly but think it was 2003 or 2004. At that time I was a host/webmaster of Anne's website and the year after I received the card Anne stated by email that she was no longer sending out cards with Season's Greetings at Christmas but was rather donating the money she used to use for buying them to charity.

I don't think the card itself was especially made for Anne but since I never asked her, it is possible (has anybody here ever seen one?). Information printed on the back of the card says: "Calligraphics by Lynn Van Dam (c) Monrovia, CA 91016". What the front and inside say you can see for yourself.

No real value can be attributed to this card as I have never seen one for sale. Needless to say I don't even think of selling it :)
The calligraphy is wonderful and the idea of drawing a dragon this way original and special. It is a wonderful card that is worthy of the story going with it!

~(_'> Apr 11 2007 05:48 PM

Re: Collecting Highlight (49) - Season's Greetings

Very nice. Most unsual dragon. Dragon cards are hard to find. Maybe one of her kids or grandkids made the original??

mawra Apr 11 2007 08:00 PM

I've never seen one before I like tho

Becky Apr 12 2007 12:32 AM

Nice highlight, Hans! The card is great and nice that you were able to receive one shortly before Anne quit sending them. And it certainly is collectible, it's got her signature on it. :D

Anneli Apr 13 2007 04:45 PM

I think it was 2002, but I need to dig mine out and check. The reason I think it was in 2002 was because I didn't receive anything from Anne one Christmas, but the next one (in 2004) she had a "relapse" and sent out signed 2005 calendars as Christmas tokens instead :)

Lady Maelin Apr 13 2007 08:15 PM

Hans, WOW!!! Your care is soooooooooo lovely....and sooooooooo different from any other Christmas card that I have ever seen. I am soooooooooooo jealous...but very thankful that you have one of these...and are willing to share it with all of us.
Whomever did the drawing of this dragon really did a fantastic job...and with the Season's Greeting from Anne to you...it sure makes this card priceless to you.

Gwina Apr 18 2007 10:14 PM

Oh, this is gorgeous! I'm really glad you won't be selling it... it's worth a lot in my book. :heart: Anne has a lovely signature. I love the calligraphy art too! It reminds me of Michael Podesta, although obviously done by another artist. Thanks for sharing this. It's quite a treasure.