A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Elizabeth Kerner (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   A question for Starbuck (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=7611)

StevenB May 8 2010 06:08 PM

A question for Starbuck

Hi Starbuck :wave:. It's great to have someone on the forum whose native language is Russian. I have a question for you: What are the titles of these two books when translated into English? I'm curious.
http://www.elizabethkerner.org/images/ss_ru_cover.jpg http://www.elizabethkerner.org/images/tlk_ru_cover.jpg
The original English titles are "Song in the Silence" and "The Lesser Kindred" but Lanen reckons these Russian titles are more like "Echo of Dragon Wings" and "Small Dragon Clan". If they are, I wonder why the first book translated so differently.

Thanks. :)

Hans May 9 2010 11:09 AM

Re: A question for Starbuck

Oh, good questions, Steven!

StevenB May 9 2010 01:36 PM

I also noticed that on the book page of the official Elizabeth Kerner website there is a paragraph of text describing each book. Without understanding any of the Russian text, I notice that the first part of the text describing each book is exactly the same, but I have no idea why. Perhaps they are both an elaborate introduction?

Hans May 9 2010 03:00 PM

That would have been my question but I didn't want to confuse the issue :grin:

GinnyStar May 13 2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Han
A question for Starbuck
That would have been my question but I didn't want to confuse the issue
Nor would I and thanks StevenB for the link to there. Its one I lost in my collection. :blush:

starbuck May 19 2010 05:20 AM

StevenB
Oh soory, that I have not noticed this thread :blush:

That's true, this titles translated so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenB (Post 163898)
I notice that the first part of the text describing each book is exactly the same, but I have no idea why. Perhaps they are both an elaborate introduction?

Yes and no ) In Russian editions, especially a fantasy, sometimes in following books of a series print summaries to the first book. Because in Russia the fantasy is not considered the serious literature and often it make out very badly. But here I think made small introduction )

I did not read these books, but my friend read also it has started to translate the third book )

StevenB May 19 2010 08:49 AM

Thanks for answering my questions, starbuck. :) Don't worry about missing this thread. I did hide it deep inside a small part of the message board. I sometimes find questions for me weeks after they were asked. :erm:

That's great news about the third book being translated. :bouncy: The second book ends in a huge cliff hanger, and I have wondered how frustrated the Russian audience must be that the story isn't resolved.

Hans May 19 2010 09:29 AM

Hmm, I'm guessing the translation mentioned by Starbuck might be an unofficial one, Steven :)

starbuck May 19 2010 12:13 PM

Yes. It's unofficial. It is here. On this site all interested persons translate serials, films, books and another on different languages.
Here we translate "DragonHarper".
When translate will is finished it gets to free electronic libraries and it can to read many people )

StevenB May 19 2010 05:12 PM

Ah, it looks like the publisher who bought the Russian translation rights has lost control of the translation (or maybe they lost interest?). But I can sympathise with the readers wanting more translations when the publisher only translated books 1 and 2 out of a trilogy :roll:. Fortunately, Elizabeth doesn't receive any royalties from the Russian editions, so it's the publisher who is losing out from these copies rather than Elizabeth.

starbuck May 20 2010 04:22 AM

Publisher is lost interest.

Besides, fantasy circulations very small - for example, latest books DRoP went in circulation of 4-5 thousand copies. All books of such plan, except harry potter and twilight :erm: , go in small circulations.
In general, first three places of the most printed authors in Russia are occupied with three women who write ironical detectives. It is awful. They write 2-3 books in a year - as so it is possible :crazy:

When publishers print new books - nobody will do illegal translate to the detriment of the author - more pleasantly go to shop and buy a paper variant that it then stood on a regiment and pleased an eye.

Though sometimes our publishers happen very careful - one publishing house has let out a collection series Honor Harrington Universe - very beautiful books, and all at me already is :roll:

StevenB May 20 2010 06:53 AM

It's a pity the publishers don't show more interest and translate more fantasy books into Russian. (After all, isn't "Swan Lake" a fantasy? Why is fantasy so popular when presented as a ballet but not when presented as a novel?)

Maybe one day, with the increasing use of electronic paper, you will be able to buy a paper book and with a press of a button have the pages translated instantly into any language? Or maybe that's a fantasy too... ?

starbuck May 20 2010 08:18 AM

Maybe )

Probably I exaggerate, and can the matter is that Russian writers began to publish a lot of fantasy - and it is easier to print the Russian book, than to translate the book which does not use a great popularity. Who knows)