A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Café Archives (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Political discussions now allowed (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8514)

Cheryl Jan 18 2012 01:24 PM

Political discussions now allowed

The ban on political discussions on this board, which has been in place since the board's creation, is now being lifted.

Provided you are respectful of the opinions of others and can engage in thoughtful discussion without resorting to inflammatory statements or trolling, you are free post and engage in topics that are political in nature.

The staff of this site, as always, has the final word on what is respectful and what is not, and will delete posts that we feel cross the line.

Priscilla Jan 19 2012 07:37 AM

Re: Political discussions now allowed

Could be very interesting and I look forward to reading, if not necessarily doing a lot of contributing. Thank you, Cheryl.

Kugai Jan 19 2012 02:48 PM

Or should that be Pandora Priscilla ;)

GinnyStar Jan 19 2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 181770)
Could be very interesting and I look forward to reading, if not necessarily doing a lot of contributing. Thank you, Cheryl.

Same thing here

Priscilla Jan 19 2012 03:58 PM

I had to think about that for a moment, Kugai. It could indeed open Pandora's Box. :lol:

Rianne Jan 19 2012 11:57 PM

just wondering, why did you take off the ban, cheryl?

GinnyStar Jan 21 2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 181776)
I had to think about that for a moment, Kugai. It could indeed open Pandora's Box. :lol:

I agree, @ Priscilla and Kugal, I find hard to communicate so you won't find me responding, or responding awkward, its hard when I understand something but providing feedback has been hard.

granath Jan 29 2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rianne (Post 181779)
just wondering, why did you take off the ban, cheryl?

Not that I'm Cheryl but I expect it's to allow discussions of ACTA and SOPA, which could put an end to the internet as we know it. There's another thread on the board for discussing that subject.

Rianne Jan 30 2012 01:57 PM

ah, that makes sense.

Golden Talisath Jan 31 2012 12:06 PM

Been wondering something... are religious discussions allowed? I've never seen any on the board, but I've never seen any ban either.

Kath Jan 31 2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granath (Post 181946)
Not that I'm Cheryl but I expect it's to allow discussions of ACTA and SOPA, which could put an end to the internet as we know it. There's another thread on the board for discussing that subject.

Plus, the current Republican nominations are SUCH a trainwreck, it'd be a shame not to be able to point and laugh... and shudder.

Hans Feb 1 2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Talisath (Post 181968)
Been wondering something... are religious discussions allowed? I've never seen any on the board, but I've never seen any ban either.

Personally I don't see much difference between them.
I think the important part of Cheryl's message is: "Provided you are respectful of the opinions of others and can engage in thoughtful discussion without resorting to inflammatory statements or trolling"

KAth, I watched CNN yesterday evening and an American journalist went around one of the better boroughs in Tokyo with an iPad with photos of the republican candidates. Nobody was recognised and there wasn't a Japanese knowing even one name...
What's more, I think it would be exactly the same in most of the European countries :)

Cheryl Feb 2 2012 12:27 AM

They are allowed, Talisath, as long as they are respectful.

Anareth Feb 2 2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans (Post 181984)

KAth, I watched CNN yesterday evening and an American journalist went around one of the better boroughs in Tokyo with an iPad with photos of the republican candidates. Nobody was recognised and there wasn't a Japanese knowing even one name...
What's more, I think it would be exactly the same in most of the European countries :)

How is that a comment on the candidates, but Americans not recognizing foreign politicians is a comment on the Americans?

Priscilla Feb 3 2012 12:06 PM

Good question, Anareth. There has always been (to me, anyway) a double standard when it comes to discussions of the US compared to discussions of anywhere else. For example. There is a general practice by some to call all Americans "Yanks". No. We are not all Yankees. That title is reserved for those born in New England. There are also Southerners, Mid-Westerners, Westerners, and if I leave someone out I apologize. I'm proud to be a Yankee and glad to be an American. This has absolutely no bearing on how I feel about other countries or their citizens. I find it's important for me anyway, to have a good opinion of all citizens of another country, and if I hear of or meet (in real life or on the internet) one that I find is not up to my standard I will dislike that person. I've known people to be the other way around. Disliking an entire country worth of people just on general principles and then if they happen upon one that is "okay" they may accept them as "normal". :roll: Anyway. Just my two cents worth. In today's economy that might only be one cent! ;)

Hans Feb 3 2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anareth (Post 182008)
How is that a comment on the candidates, but Americans not recognizing foreign politicians is a comment on the Americans?

I didn't make a comment but a statement. I relaid what I had seen and made an edicated guess in relation to Europeans.

I'm not even sure what the CNN journalist expected or what their intention was. Fact was that the Japanese questioned didn't recognise any of the candidates.

Personally I don't think that's the candidates fault, they're not playing for the "foreign market" so to speak. I think the bottom line for CNN was if people abroad were interested in the republican/US politics, but that's guesswork.

Further more, I don't understand what you say in the second half of your remark about a comment on Americans? Maybe you misread my remark. What I meant was that Europeans, when asked, would probably not know the republican candidates either. I.e. there isn't much interest in the pre-presidential business. It does appear on the news but I think people in Europe will not start paying attention until the real presidential campaign.

As far as Americans in general go, no they indeed have not much knowledge of politics outside their country. I know. That has always been the case and I think it will always stay the same. I think that is mainly because they live in such a large country that was always a world leader. They do not have and don't feel the need to know about foreign politics, which actually makes sense. In Europe we always have been much more dependent on what other countries do, the USA hasn't had that 'problem' for a very long time.

Kath Feb 3 2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 182027)
Good question, Anareth. There has always been (to me, anyway) a double standard when it comes to discussions of the US compared to discussions of anywhere else. For example. There is a general practice by some to call all Americans "Yanks". No. We are not all Yankees. That title is reserved for those born in New England. There are also Southerners, Mid-Westerners, Westerners, and if I leave someone out I apologize. I'm proud to be a Yankee and glad to be an American. This has absolutely no bearing on how I feel about other countries or their citizens. I find it's important for me anyway, to have a good opinion of all citizens of another country, and if I hear of or meet (in real life or on the internet) one that I find is not up to my standard I will dislike that person. I've known people to be the other way around. Disliking an entire country worth of people just on general principles and then if they happen upon one that is "okay" they may accept them as "normal". :roll: Anyway. Just my two cents worth. In today's economy that might only be one cent! ;)

I suggest you have a think about what many Americans very frequently call people from Scotland and Wales, which is far more prevalent than the use of 'Yank'. (Hint: the answer in question isn't Scottish or Welsh, as it should be). Unofficial terms for people from different areas of the same country is far less offensive than calling someone the name of someone from a completely different country - though both cases are equally bad examples of ignorance. For offensive, we call you merkins. ;)

Priscilla Feb 3 2012 01:21 PM

That's fine. There are ignorant people everywhere. I'll remember that I'm a merkin.

Hans Feb 3 2012 01:23 PM

Kath, 'merkins' is new to me. We don't use that in The Netherlands (which most people call Holland, which does not even exist). We use Yanks/Yankees for American cars and as a general name for people from the USA (not for North-Americans which would include Canadians). We don't use Yanks as an explicit derogatory name, it's just a nickname if you want, not specifically meant to insult.
Maybe the Dutch are different because Yanks comes Yankees comes from Jan Kees, so the etymology of the term has a definite Dutch origin :)

I actually don't know an insulting name we use for Americans. Can't think of one. And I think that's because the USA is such a collection of people with so maney different ethnic origin. I know they use names for each others, I had never heard of a Polack before I watched All In The Family :)

The Dutch are know as Cheeseheads by the Belgians but I don't know if that goes for other European countries, too.