A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   The Library Café (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Going somewhere? (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8816)

Priscilla Nov 9 2013 08:23 AM

Going somewhere?

If you could go anyplace in the world, and money was not a problem (all expenses paid), where would you go and why? This could be visiting friends or relatives, seeing a place you've always wanted or revisiting a place you loved. Just name one place at a time so we can keep this going for a while. ;)

I'll begin. I'd like to take my husband to see the Grand Canyon. He's never been to any of our national parks and I'd start him with that one. I'm afraid I'm a coward and there would be no river rafting or donkey ride to the bottom of the canyon included.

Where would you go?

Kater Nov 9 2013 09:39 AM

Re: Going somewhere?

I'd love to go to New Zealand and/or Australia. Hubby would love to do the hiking thing in New Zealand but not me. We'd also both like to do a cruise in Alaska. Hubby would love to take the same track that Schakleford took when he went to the South Pole. Not something for me as I hate the cold and I'm not much of a walker.

mawra Nov 9 2013 12:00 PM

I'd like to take Kibby and Hubby to San Diego so I could show them where I grew up. They would also love the zoo and Sea World.

SpaceCowboy Nov 9 2013 01:17 PM

Ireland to see where my people came from.

AnnMarie Nov 9 2013 01:54 PM

Only one trip? I'd love to tour the US/Canada, the British Isles, and New Zealand/Australia...in a caravan, at least for the most part. You get to see more that way

Priscilla Nov 9 2013 01:57 PM

Oh, no. Multiple trips! I thought if we talk about them one trip at a time it makes the thread last longer. :notme:

mara Nov 9 2013 03:04 PM

Venice, Italy. I was there about 10 jears ago and I would like to go back.

Lily Nov 9 2013 04:14 PM

For all NZ and Aus are so close, we are very different, when it comes to read about the touristy trips that can be made. But I'd like to start my Australian trip in Tasmania which is probably the nearest to NZ in climate, but so full of history. And the TV programmes you can see are a help

Priscilla - how many ways are there of getting to the bottom of the Grand Canyon?

Priscilla Nov 9 2013 04:27 PM

Well, I suppose you COULD jump (probably the fastest, but not recommended! :eek: ). Let me think. You can hike down, take a donkey ride or I think there are small helicopters that take people to the bottom. I am seriously afraid of heights. If we do go someday I will be the one 20 feet back from the edge (even with fencing) and Jeff will be right up to the edge exclaiming about the view! :faint2:

Golden Talisath Nov 9 2013 06:06 PM

Ohhhh, I've been dying to go to Russia for years, but I just can't find the time. And Rome... somehow, it always slips. I've been to Italy twice, first time with my family, but we didn't go so south, and next with school, but again...

mawra Nov 9 2013 06:31 PM

If you go to the Grand Canyon you will have to go out on the glass walk that goes out over the canyon. Supposable you can look down and see the bottom under your feet

Priscilla Nov 9 2013 07:00 PM

Eeeeeeek! Jeff can do that. I like my feet on solid ground as much as possible. I don't even like glass elevators in hotels.

Just remember, we can take multiple trips because money is no object. :D So, once you've gone on one journey, choose another.

I think my next trip would be back to England to say hello to Anneli again. I'm going to make my journeys alternate - one in the US and one in another country. We have a few other friends in England I'd like to visit as well. Maybe I'd even drag Jeff to Arundel to the campus of New England college (closed now) where I spent 3 of my 4 years in college. Fun times!

kevia Nov 9 2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnMarie (Post 188691)
Only one trip? I'd love to tour the US/Canada, the British Isles, and New Zealand/Australia...in a caravan, at least for the most part. You get to see more that way

We're actually sort of doing this. We now live in a fifth wheel trailer. We're only traveling in the USA right now, anyway. Dh isn't as interested in other countries as I am. We spent the spring in St Marys, GA, and the summer in Ohio. Also went to Indiana. Spent a month in Summersville, WV, workamping in a Corp of Engineers park. Spent November in NC and are now in Crystal River, FL. We'll spend the winter here, and then head north again. If anyone is interested, I have a blog, which I need to update. http://wemustaway.wordpress.com/

I, too, would enjoy visiting the Grand Canyon, but so far, haven't been able to interest dh in it.

mawra Nov 9 2013 09:44 PM

Where am I going? Bonkers

Priscilla Nov 9 2013 09:57 PM

I think we've ALL been there!

Kat Nov 10 2013 08:24 AM

England,I've been twice and both times could not see/do what I wanted.

And the other parts as well.Scotland Ireland and Wales (which I stuck a toe in but again not where/what I wanted to see)

The husband has a fascination with Hawaii,me got zippo desire but he's not going alone.

Australia and New Zealand. Those are the real tops.

Now because money is no object I'm sure I'd do others.

Kater Nov 13 2013 09:50 AM

Hubby and I did the Grand Canyon when I moved out to CA to live with him more then 20 years ago. That was long before the glass walkway. I don't think either of us would have done that!! We did take a plane trip over the Canyon though. That was lovely!!

mawra Nov 13 2013 01:00 PM

The glass walk way is expensive, if money no object then I would do it.

Next I would go to New Zealand and or Australia. Hubby would not go with me. When ever I talk about traveling there he says why does he want to, he has not lost anything there. He does not have a traveler's since of adventure.

GinnyStar Nov 13 2013 06:32 PM

:lol: We Dan J and I were talking about the Land Down Under Australia and/or New Zealand.

He hasn't seen the Grand Canyon yet, I would like to go. No glass walkway for us. :(

mawra Nov 13 2013 09:29 PM

All the large conventions

Priscilla Nov 13 2013 09:40 PM

DragonCon and WorldCon? That'd be fun! With unlimited funds you could do both!

Yellowstone Park for me next. I went there several times as a kid with my parents and brother. I'd like to see it again through grown up eyes.

mawra Nov 13 2013 11:59 PM

I've been there once about nine years ago. I would love to go back.

A trip to all the national park, as well as world (I forgot what they're called) Heritage, I think that maybe what they're called, places.

TwoSheds Nov 14 2013 10:39 AM

If money is no problem then I'd love a Virgin Galactic suborbital spaceflight around the world.

Hans Nov 15 2013 09:31 AM

Although we traveled extensively there are more than enough destinations still on our list. South-Africa was our goal for this year but due to circumstance that trip was canceled three times in a row. We decided to go another time and visit Madeira insteda.

If money was no option, as you said, destination would be Australia and New Zealand. Those are, for us, the most expensive destinations.

My wife does not want to but I'd also like a 3 month world cruise... please, pretty please.

mawra Nov 15 2013 11:52 AM

A world tour would be good.

not sure I want to go on a cruise ship. Everyone keeps telling you don't feel the ship's motion, but not sure my stomach wouldn't.

If someone offer to send me on a cruise I would go. I would take a large suit case full of Dramamine

Priscilla Nov 15 2013 06:34 PM

That sounds like a wonderful place, Hans. I look forward to pictures.

I would not want to go on a cruise. I would like to fly or drive to lots of places. I would not want to be stuck on a boat, especially when you can't be sure when the weather will be bad or there could be illness on board. I like little boats for sailing or kayaking near shore!

mawra Nov 15 2013 06:41 PM

I would love cross country and to Canada and Mexico.

Priscilla Nov 15 2013 06:57 PM

My son and his girlfriend are going to Montreal in a couple weeks to celebrate her birthday. I've only been to the far eastern parts of Canada - Nova Scotia and near provinces.

mawra Nov 16 2013 12:22 AM

We crossed the boarder and stay a night. I am trying to remember the name of the city. It was the same name on the U.S. and Canada, Sault st. Marie. I would have loved to spend more time there.

r2005 Nov 16 2013 06:19 PM

If I had the money, I'd go to Paris.

I spent may years learning the language in school. I've been to Quebec City and Montreal, but there's not really that big of a novelty to it when you live close enough to the border you can still make the trip by car. :)

granath Nov 17 2013 03:51 AM

If money was no object, I'd like to visit New Zealand. I fell in love with the place thanks to LotR and The Hobbit. Trouble is, I'd have to go first class because I have long legs (a doctor once told me that if the rest of my bones matched my femurs I would be over 182 cm / 6 ft tall) and always feel cramped in tourist class, which I can deal with on short flights but not long ones.

Priscilla Dec 13 2013 08:40 AM

For Christmas I'd like all six of us to be in DisneyWorld. We'd stay at the Polynesian, have breakfast with Mickey and enjoy the park's beautiful decorations!

mawra Dec 13 2013 12:53 PM

A private island far, far away.

Delia Dec 13 2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 189446)
For Christmas I'd like all six of us to be in DisneyWorld. We'd stay at the Polynesian, have breakfast with Mickey and enjoy the park's beautiful decorations!

Priscilla, if you want to change that to Disneyland, I can help.

Lily Dec 13 2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granath (Post 188871)
If money was no object, I'd like to visit New Zealand. I fell in love with the place thanks to LotR and The Hobbit. Trouble is, I'd have to go first class because I have long legs (a doctor once told me that if the rest of my bones matched my femurs I would be over 182 cm / 6 ft tall) and always feel cramped in tourist class, which I can deal with on short flights but not long ones.

Granath, have you seen the Air New Zealand videos, and a picture of the aeroplane they painted up like Smaug ? They're most impressive and great fun.

And of course, you must travel first class or business class, tall people swear by them as being a lot more comfortable.

mawra Dec 13 2013 04:41 PM

That would be cool to see

Priscilla Dec 13 2013 04:50 PM

Is that where you work, Delia? Lucky you! I live in CT, so DisneyWorld is cheaper to fly to. We've been going every other year since our kids were in high school. They are now 27 and 30. For some strange reason they still don't mind going with their silly parents (now including daughter's boyfriend and son's girlfriend). We do help pay for some of it but it never, ever gets "old" to any of us.

I did go to Disneyland for one day when I was 9 years old. That is more than 50 years ago. I imagine it has changed a great deal and what I saw with my child's eyes would probably seem different now even if still there.

What exactly do you do there?

Delia Dec 13 2013 05:58 PM

I work at the Walt Disney Travel Company, help people plan and book their Disneyland vacations. I get perks, too, such as Friends and Family hotel discounts and comp tickets. (Now I'll have friends coming out of the woodwork.)

Priscilla Dec 13 2013 07:24 PM

Only if you do DisneyWorld, too! ;) Seriously, we love Disney and are planning another visit early next summer.

Moonlady Dec 13 2013 11:48 PM

I would first go to Israel for 6 months and learn about the country of my faith but now my birth.