A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Collecting Highlights Archives (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=5066)

Becky Feb 20 2008 10:02 AM

Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

Sorry it's been so long since a highlight was posted! I guess real life caught up with me and held me captive for a while! :( But I'm baaaaaacckk!!! :D

Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials is edited by jan howard finder. There were 500 'Special DUFF' editions signed by jan howard finder. (no I didn't forget to captialize his name, that's how he does it) :) Published in 1981 by Wombat Enterprises, Unlimited with ISBN 0-9605722-0-1, the book is stapled together with a paperback cover and is 8 1/2 X 11 in size.

jan howard finder wrote the factual commentaries on the animals but well-known science fiction authors wrote small fun commentaries about the animals. Anne's is about the Red kangaroo and is three short lines long and consists of just 9 words!

The books were published to raise funds for DUFF (Down Under Fan Fund). I don't know if DUFF still exists, but it was originally a fund to provide funds so that a science fiction fan could travel across the Pacific to visit with counterparts in Australia or North America. Candidates were voted on by interested fans from all over the world.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...dersGuide4.jpg
This is the front cover of the book.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...dersGuide3.jpg
And here is the copyright page along with a slip that was included with the book that gives info on who to contact for more info about DUFF.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...dersGuide2.jpg
Here is the page about the Red Kangaroo with Anne's commentary in the lower left corner. :) Told you it was small!!! :D
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...dersGuide1.jpg
And finally the back cover.

The animals found in the book include the black cockatoo, black swan, Boyd's forest dragon (which I wish Anne had commented on, wonder why?), platypus, koala, kiwi, great skua, numbat, thorny devil and many other unusual animals from Down Under. Almost all animals are accompanied by a drawing of that animal by many different artists.

This is one of those obscure things by Anne that I love to find and add to my collection. :D

Also - according to Cheryl.......Finder (pronounced "FINN-der" not "Fine-der") is an inveterate con goer known to many as "The Wombat". He is in charge of running Albacon this year.

Hans Feb 20 2008 10:06 AM

Re: Collecting Highlight - (64) Finder's Guide to Australterrestrials

Very nice Collecting Highlight, Becky and unexpectedly newsworthy since Jan is indeed the person that got Anne and Todd to come to Albacon as Guests of Honour! :)

Can you enlighten us as to how this copy came into your posession (I always like to hear that) :)

Lady Maelin Feb 20 2008 09:49 PM

WOW!!! now that certainly is just a little bit of Anne...I do think the drawing of the Red Kangaroo is lovely...and they do look like their great *HUGGERS*..LOL

I half to agree with Hans...how did you ever manage to find this one...:think:

Becky Feb 21 2008 12:27 AM

Weeeelllllll.............finding finder's guide is actually a story of finder finding me!!! :D (remember finder doesn't capitalize his name) :D Cheryl actually found a couple of copies and let me know about them. So of course I checked them out and purchased one! Cheryl knows more about this than I do actually since she's had contact with finder. She may have more to add to this highlight actually.

Hans - I'm glad finder was able to get Anne and Todd to Albacon for a wonderful time with all the MoMers that got to attend!

Flinx Feb 21 2008 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 101210)
<snip>
The books were published to raise funds for DUFF (Down Under Fan Fund). I don't konw if DUFF still exists, but it was originally a fund to provide funds so that a science fiction fan could travel across the Pacific to visit with counterparts in Australia or North America. Candidates were voted on by interested fans from all over the world.
<snip>

DUFF still exists.

Becky Feb 21 2008 09:58 AM

Flinx - thanks for checking on that and posting the lind! I'll have to go check out the site. :D

P'ter Feb 21 2008 03:33 PM

perhaps Dragongirl should put in for it in 2010?

Lady Maelin Feb 21 2008 10:58 PM

Flinx...interesting site, with very different ideas on how to meet other fans and promote getting to know each other in different countries.

Samsara Sep 3 2009 06:41 AM

Oh my god!!! :bouncy::bouncy: Sign me up!!!!! I'm sooo going to join them!
Maybe one day I can come see you guys at a convention somewhere! Thanks Flinx! :good:

Samsara Sep 3 2009 06:46 AM

:sorry: And thanks to Becky too! :blush:

jube Sep 3 2009 09:53 AM

Samsara, if you can't get to the ones overseas, there will be several here in Australia and it's easier to book into a hotel with someone and share the costs that way too, next year.

Samsara Sep 4 2009 06:39 AM

I'll definately check out the Aussie ones! But I can still dream about going to the overseas ones!!

Flinx Sep 4 2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samsara (Post 149687)
I'll definately check out the Aussie ones! But I can still dream about going to the overseas ones!!

Here are a few upcoming cons.
Conflux
SwanCon
AussieCon4

Samsara Sep 4 2009 09:34 PM

Thanks Flinx. I'll check them out. I know about Swancon because its in WA, (I hear its not that great but I've never been - have you?) but the others are new to me. I checked out your links and they seem interesting enough. Maybe you guys will see me at some of them! :D

sjslack Sep 5 2009 07:22 AM

I remember seeing this in Copenhagen. :bouncey: I thought it was rather cool. -Chuckles-

Flinx Sep 5 2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samsara (Post 149743)
Thanks Flinx. I'll check them out. I know about Swancon because its in WA, (I hear its not that great but I've never been - have you?) but the others are new to me. I checked out your links and they seem interesting enough. Maybe you guys will see me at some of them! :D

You're welcome.
I'm hoping to go to AussieCon & I believe Jube is also going.
They were only a few of the cons that happen around Australia. Most of the states have some sort of con (sci-fi lit, media & comics) during the year.
Also the various writer's festivals always have a good selection of authors.
If I had the time available I would have went to Brisbane for their writer's festival this week, as John Birmingham, Gregg Hurwitz & Jeff Lindsay are among the authors attending.
At the Sydney Writer's Festival this year I met & got books signed by Garth Nix & Isobelle Carmody.
SwanCon is Australia's longest continuous running con, every year since '75, and each year is run by a different commitee, so there might be years where someone could say that it wasn't as good as another year.
I think that Swancon is like any other con you get what you expect from it & hopefully a bit more.
I live on the NSW south coast, so attending SwanCon is a big event for me but I've attended 3 times. The first time was in 1996 (Neil Gaiman & Storm Constantine), then 1997 (Howard Waldrop) & 2006 (Mercedes Lackey & Larry Dixon). There were a couple of other years I would have like to attend but couldn't get time off work.

jube Sep 6 2009 01:01 AM

Hey Flinx, maybe if Samsara gets her act together, perhaps we could do a MoM'ers mini-gather in Melbourne as well as anyone else who's willing to go. Now for just getting my tickets :lol:

Flinx Sep 6 2009 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jube (Post 149795)
Hey Flinx, maybe if Samsara gets her act together, perhaps we could do a MoM'ers mini-gather in Melbourne as well as anyone else who's willing to go. Now for just getting my tickets :lol:

Sounds good. I got my ticket, just have to get time off work to go down there.