A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Café Archives (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Birthday Party Pictures (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=2341)

Anneli Apr 5 2006 06:28 PM

Birthday Party Pictures

So at 80 who can blame you for making each candle count as 10? :)

http://forums.srellim.org/images/bday/AnneToddCake.jpg

Anneli Apr 5 2006 06:29 PM

Re: Birthday Party Pictures

The birthday girl gets to make a wish :good:

http://forums.srellim.org/images/bday/AnneCandles.jpg

Anneli Apr 5 2006 06:59 PM

Holding court before dinner :) If you look carefully, you can see the two "dream of dragons" sculptures on the right-hand side of the shelf behind the cards :good:

http://forums.srellim.org/images/bday/anne.jpg

Anneli Apr 5 2006 07:02 PM

Three authors and a fan :D

From left to right: Elizabeth Kerner; Anne McCaffrey; Jody Lynn Nye; a fan ;)

http://forums.srellim.org/images/bday/fourwitches.jpg

Lady Maelin Apr 5 2006 10:16 PM

Anneli, this was wonderful to see, thank you so very much for making sure we got to visit her birthday party with you. I hope that you had a marvelous time, making memories that will last for the rest of your life.

Hans Apr 6 2006 04:20 AM

Wonderful pictures, Anneli, thank you so much for being not only our royal courier but also our court photographer! :heart: (or should that be Pern Papparazzi? :))

chrysalis Apr 6 2006 04:40 AM

Those are great pictures, Anneli. Thanks for posting.

edith Apr 6 2006 04:49 AM

great pictures! :)

Nefermiw Apr 6 2006 05:27 AM

Thank you for sharing the photos. :)

Jayru Apr 6 2006 06:03 AM

Thank you Anneli for sharing :group:

bats Apr 6 2006 06:31 AM

Thank-You for posting it was wonderful to Anne doesn't she look well
Bats as many her wtitings have been so much part of out lives
:good:
bats:tilt:

Jax Apr 6 2006 07:28 AM

Beautiful pictures! They came out really well too! :good:

Anne's haircut, whenever it was, since I don't remember when the last recent photo of her was looks really good!! It's nice to see her looking so well!! :D

AnnMarie Apr 6 2006 08:17 AM

There is no way Anne looks 80!

Love the picture with her, Elizabeth and Jody!

c_ris Apr 6 2006 09:02 AM

Excellent pictures! :good:

Anneli Apr 6 2006 01:55 PM

I'm glad you like the photos :) I'm afraid I can't take the credit for the first two, though - mine didn't come out very clearly :( Luckily, Steven Beard very kindly agreed to send me his pictures of Anne with the cake to post here on MoM instead :good: Thanks, Steven :D

He's going to send me some more, so I'll aim to get them up by the weekend, along with a few more of mine :)

Hans Apr 6 2006 04:09 PM

That is indeed very kind of Steven. :good:

ghyle Apr 6 2006 06:27 PM

Thank you, Anneli, for sharing the photos with us. I am glad that the day went well for you.

Greenrider Tresa Apr 6 2006 07:57 PM

Well yours are still wonderful, Anneli! :) And thanks for sharing!

Weyrwoman Kalina Apr 6 2006 09:19 PM

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing, Anneli! :D

Becky Apr 8 2006 02:45 AM

Oh, it's great to see Anne looking so well! I do love her hair too. It looks like she had a great party! Thanks for the pictures!

Anneli Apr 8 2006 05:20 PM

Here's another photo courtesy of Steven Beard :good: It's of Gigi, Anne's daughter, reading out a "homage to Anne McCaffrey" by the singer Janis Ian. I've sent her an e-mail asking for permission to put a copy of the poem up here. However, if - alas - I don't get a reply or permission, I don't think it would be right to post it, I'm sure you'll understand...

http://forums.srellim.org/images/bday/gigispeech.jpg

Anneli Apr 8 2006 05:30 PM

I'm delighted you've enjoyed the photos, like I said the really good ones are down to Steven Beard ;) but I must admit I had great fun taking mine even if they didn't come out as well *chuckles*

I have a few "background" photos of guests at the party which I'd be happy to share. But I don't want to swallow the bandwith here, nor cram them down your collective throats :D

So I'm planning to set up a photobucket site where I can put them up and then post a link for those interested to browse through :) Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to get the time to do so until the Easter break next weekend :( So please check back in a week or so if you'd like to see more of the party :good:

Lady Maelin Apr 9 2006 08:28 PM

Thank you so very much for all the photos, the ones that you have gotten hold of for us from Steven, and the ones that are still to come that you took. I think that we are all just happy that you were there to be able to take any and share them with us here.

Your thoughfullness is wonderful, and at a time when you should have been enjoying your own time with Anne and her party. I find it so wonderful that you thought of us at all, instead of that marvelous looking cake, and the goodies that had to be there. I see that you were able to enjoy the very fine libations that were served.

Becky Apr 9 2006 08:37 PM

Oh, thanks for posting the picture of Gigi reading the poem! I haven't seen her in years and she looks wonderful!!! Looks like a wonderful party! I wish we all could have been there too! Thanks for letting us get a peek at it anyway! :)

freespirit91 Apr 13 2006 10:37 AM

Thanks for the pics!!!! It makes me really happy to see anne enjoying her b-day!!!!

Kater Apr 14 2006 01:47 AM

Thank you thank you thank you soooooo much for sharing!! :D

Myt Apr 14 2006 07:02 AM

Ooooohhh!!! Wow! Nice photos!

Kat Apr 15 2006 01:28 PM

Very nice!!
Thanks Anneli! :good:

Anne is looking very well!! And that can only be a good thing!:bouncy:

chris Apr 17 2006 09:25 AM

Thanks Anneli and also Steven for the pics. Anne does indeed look wonderful and I must wish a belated happy birthday to her.

Bea Apr 26 2006 10:38 AM

Thanks for sharing these with us :) :)

Jayru Apr 27 2006 05:07 AM

Thank you Anneli for letting us see these. Many thanks :good:

Anneli May 1 2006 04:33 PM

Glad you've been enjoying the pictures :D

As I said up in Post #21 above, Gigi read out a "Homage to Anne McCaffrey for her 80th Birthday" by the singer Janis Ian, also known to Pern fans as Lady Janissian in Skies of Pern :)

Janis has very kindly given her permission for me to re-produce the text - which is, of course, copyright to her - in this thread. Many thanks :bouncy:

So without further ado, herewith the Homage that Gigi was reading ;)

There once was a girl named McCaffrey
Who moved to the land of the banshee
By dragons possessed
She had great success
And occasional bats in her belfry.
She learned young to speak high Slavonic
Which may be some sort of colonic
Wrote novels in Latin that filled up the dustbin
And opera was often a tonic.
She acted some parts in the theater
Then later became the director
Of oddly named plays
‘til she left the stage
and became a world famous writer.
Now normally here, I’d be vulgar
Find dozens of ways to insult her
But birthdays are rare
And I really don’t dare
To match wits with my favorite author.
So Annie, my congratulations
Enjoy all your friends and relations
In a decade or two
I’ll be as old as you
That should be a great consolation!
All my love Janis Ian

PS: Gigi read it with style :sneak: :cool:

Cheryl May 1 2006 06:42 PM

Oh that's marvelous! Nicely sums up the many things Anne has done with her life!

Lady Maelin May 1 2006 10:17 PM

That was so wonderful to be able to read, Janis Ian was a favorite of my back in the seventies... it is so wonderful to see that she loves Anne, like we all do. Anneli, thank you so much for again letting us see more of the celebration for Anne's birhtday.

jube May 1 2006 10:42 PM

WOWI'm speechless at moment. Someone pick up the pieces please.

Thank you!

Olbat May 2 2006 03:17 AM

Hi All, I'm new to this board, but have been an AM fan for eons!
Lady Maelin, I was sent to this particular page by Janis Ian, herself, who posted the addy on her own Forum: http://www.janisian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490

That was really nice that Anne's daughter could read it...I'm sure she did it justice!

You say you were a Janis Ian fan in the Seventies...why not now? She has never stopped since she came back from her 9 year hiatus after 'Seventeen'...she has now just released her 20th album (officially--There are others which are out but not on the 'official' list ), called 'Folk is the New Black'; you can grab a listen on her site, and it's really fun, once you get past 'Danger, Danger' (which I happen to like a lot). Come on over and visit the site, as there is some very good writing there, too, in Janis' archives...check the tour schedule as well, as there might be a performance near you. I hope everyone will do that, as she is still a top-drawer singer and songwriter, and has been touring for years.

Loved the birthday pictures of AM...she looks like a fun lady whom I would love to meet...unfortunately, a trip to Scotland is not in my foreseeable future, so I will have to be content to wish her a most wonderful year...they just keep getting better! (I'm not quite her age, but rapidly approaching, and enjoying every minute of it!)

This is a great site, and I will be back! Thanks.

Hans May 2 2006 04:41 AM

LOL Olblat, I do think Lady Maelin meant it the way I read it and say it too: I've been a Janis Ian fan since the seventies :) No need and inclination to stop after the seventies :) although my fondest memories of her and her wonderful songs do date from the seventies and eighties, especially because I was working the the record business myself at the time (retail).

I also remember going to one of the rare concerts Janis gave in The Netherlands and going there in the concerthall De Doelen, in Rotterdam (a cosy 4000 seater, not one of those great stadiums and a reason why the concert felt very intimate) in the early eighties. Great memories, all :good:

Oh, and do invite Janis to register here, too, like you did :) she'd be welcomed with more than open arms :heart:

Cheryl May 2 2006 08:28 AM

Welcome to MoM, Olbat! (pssst, Anne is in Ireland, not Scotland)

It seems Janis has a few pictures of Anne from around her bithday, about halfway down the page.

Becky May 2 2006 10:45 AM

Thanks for the link to Janis' page! The pics and info are great! :grin:

Hans May 2 2006 11:38 AM

LOL

that picture of the cat (Pumpkin) drinking out of the tap is almost identical to the one I made :grin:

Look here, halfway the page: http://www.pern.nl/eire/ch_five.html