A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Exhibit Hall (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Pern Portraits by resident artist Lady Maelin (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=2685)

Cheryl Jun 8 2006 07:48 PM

Pern Portraits by resident artist Lady Maelin

MoM's very own fabulous resident journeywoman artist, Lady Maelin, has offered to do portraits of any active MoM member as Pernese characters. In order to do a portrait for you, she will need certain information along with a good picture; send this information via PM. Please refer to the list of requirements below, and post any questions you might have here -- so answers are accessible to all and Maelin can spend more time drawing and less time answering questions!
  1. Color of eyes
  2. Color and length of hair
  3. Color of firelizard and name (only one per person, please)
  4. Character name and rank/job (holder, crafter, Weyrfolk...?)
  5. Clothes: Gather finery, craft tunic, riding leathers (dragonriders only), etc.
  6. Favorite color for clothes (craft color, perhaps?)
  7. Link to a clear, close-up photo of yourself (posted online somewhere such as photobucket). No attachments please.

Keep in mind the caveats that you must be an active member of MoM, and that Lady Maelin has offered to do Pern portraits only (and following canon in terms of women dragonriders on gold and green only, men on any color dragon but gold). Active members are those that have posted in the past 30 days, have been a member for at least two months, and have a minimum post count of 30.

Maelin is working a rolling waiting list. If the list gets too long it may close temporarily, but otherwise just post to this topic to request to get on the list. Also, please make sure that all of your photos are in so that she can start right away -- if your photo and details are not in by the time Maelin is ready to start, you will be bumped one spot down the list.

Before the full portrait is posted, you may begin using your portrait as an avatar if you like. For help creating the avatar drop a PM to Cheryl with a link to the picture. I will crop and shrink a few different versions for you to choose from.

NOTICE TO MEMBERS WANTING FOR A PORTRAIT !!!
I am sorry to tell you but I will no longer be offering to do any new portraits. I have two to finish of members that were still on the list...Phoenix and Lindsey, after these two are finished I will no longer be accepting anymore request for portriats...Sorry!!!

I have enjoyed the time that I have spent creating the MoM members "PERN" portirats, but now I must move on to other projects that I have been putting off for the last year. Thank You for all your wonderful support, and lovely compliments on my work...Maelin

Jax Jul 14 2006 07:00 PM

Re: Pern Portraits by resident artist Lady Maelin

Would it be possible to have an updated schedule posted of the next batch? :) I look forward to seeing more Maelin!!

Lady Maelin Jul 15 2006 12:47 AM

Jax, Thank you for asking, at this point I have these members on the list still to do:

Shalyn... who I am working on as I write this...;)

Spiff...:notme:

Annareth...:)

Matt...:grin:

Lily...:tilt:

Dragongirl...:horsey:

I will be putting a new portriat up only as I finish them now, since I am all

caught up with the ones that I had already finished. I would appriciate your

patience on these, as I work on them as often as I can. As some of you

know I have had a few health conserns lately that have slowed me down a

bit. Never fear I am still happily working in my studio, trying to bringing

some people who live and work on Pern, here to visit on MoM.....Maelin :heart: :rocket: :heart:

Hans Jul 15 2006 05:25 AM

I think we all were/are impatient but we'll be good as we count ourselves lucky just to have you doing them!

:bouncy:

And I think I can safely say I speak for all here :heart:

c_ris Jul 15 2006 08:01 AM

What Hans said!!! :D

Shalyn Jul 15 2006 12:31 PM

Easy for you to say - yours are done! ;)

Those of us who have been (im)patiently waiting are learning just how virtuous patience is!

But I'm next. :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

And neener-neener to the rest of you! :razz: :razz: :razz:

Spaceman Spiff Jul 15 2006 12:43 PM

I was certainly getting curious (yes, that's the word, not impatient at all :disguise:) but thank you for putting up the list! At the rate you'd been whipping em out before, I couldn't blame you if you were taking a break, and especially if you had some health concerns! But you are one dedicated lady :grin:

Lady Maelin Jul 15 2006 12:46 PM

Thank you very much Hans, for the lovely compliments.:wekiss:

It has truly been wonderful getting to know the members that I have done portriats of.:bouncy: :good: :bouncy:

I am so thankfull to Cheryl and her husband, that they were able to make this possible for all of us to enjoy. Thank you dear friend, for doing all of this for me, and the membership. You have truely made one of my grand dreams come true. :heart: ;) :heart:

Lady Maelin Jul 15 2006 01:40 PM

I am sorry, that the rest of you are having to wait what only SEEMS to be a little longer time, to get your individual portraits. I had quite a few finished before we started putting them up. So now the back log is all caugt up, and you will have to wait until I finish each individual one from now on.

Trust me though, I haven't been on a "BREAK" as some of you have been thinking. I have still been putting a portriat up every week for all of you to see, and hopefully enjoy. They just take time to do, so your patience will be very appriciated.

Now that some of you have mentioned it though, I will be taking a break, with the up and coming L.A. convention, and my eye surgery that is to take place directly afterwords.

SOOOOO THEN !!! You will just have to wait,:crazy: sorry!!! as patiently as you can:faint2: until I can get to your own special portriats.:disguise: I know you wouldn't want me to rush through it,:ugg: and for it "NOT" to be just as special as all the rest have been....:lol: :disguise: :lol:

I will work as hard and as often as I can,:horsey: so as to not have you wait toooooo long for your portriats. Never fear, I haven't forgotten you.......Really... I promise.;)

Jax Jul 15 2006 07:39 PM

:hugs: Maelin :D

Lady Maelin Jul 16 2006 03:05 AM

Thank you Jax, I needed that :bouncy: :lol: :bouncy: ............:wave:

Cheryl Jul 16 2006 08:14 AM

A side note on the gallery pages -- I won't be able to update them with the latest portraits until I have my new computer.

P'ter Jul 16 2006 10:31 AM

*hugs Lady Maelin* Best of luck with the eyes

Lady Maelin Jul 16 2006 01:00 PM

Thank you P'ter,:) I have had the left one done twice already, so I know what I have to go through.:roll: Hopefully this time they will get it right on the first go through, and save me a lot of pain and time away from my art desk,:eek: and the members portraits that need to be finished.:crazy: :lol: :crazy:

edith Jul 16 2006 05:34 PM

poor you! hope you get well sooner!

Anareth Jul 17 2006 10:54 PM

Eye surgery? Corrective, or something needing fixing? (I've been tempted by vision correction surgery, but I've heard you can't go back to contacts if it goes wrong and if I can't wear contacts I'd just have to skate blind. You never see a skater in glasses!)

We're patient! (Well, I'm not usually, but I can be patient here.) I couldn't imagine you were actually DOING portraits like that as fast as they were being posted.

Lady Maelin Jul 18 2006 01:35 AM

Edi, Thank you for your lovely consern, I am looking forward to getting it all done, and getting back to being able to see with both eyes. I have almost forgotten what that is like.:eek: :faint2: :eek:........:lol:

Lady Maelin Jul 18 2006 01:42 AM

Anareth, the eye surgery I am having is for Cataracts, this is the second eye, and it will be the third operation I have had.

I am very glad you are being so patient, and waiting so nicely for me to get to your portrait. I work on them everyday, and some times I can do one faster than with other one, just depends on what I am putting in them, and how much work is involved. Some of these last ones were a lot more involved than some of the first ones were. I am also trying to think of new things to put in them or show in them. So hopefully it will be worth your wait.

Hans Jul 19 2006 10:17 AM

I must say I'm looking forward to seeing Anareth's :) I'm dying to know whether she'll be in it as Healer or Weyrwoman...

Lady Maelin Jul 20 2006 11:58 AM

I guess you will just have to wait and see Hans,:razz: But I will give you a little hint... cough,

cough "HEY DOC", have I got a temperature ?!?...:lol: :lol: :lol:...........:lol: :fiend::lol:

Anareth Jul 20 2006 11:28 PM

Lol, Hans, I asked for Master Healer Eliara, the PC I play far most often. Besides, I have the caduceus as my avatar at the moment! (Though Eliara does have a little friend.)

Shalyn Jul 21 2006 01:42 PM

Considering how eager Eliara *was* for that little friend, I'm surprised that she stuck around! Mother/pet owner of the year she is not!

Anareth Jul 21 2006 11:15 PM

Eliara's a bigger softie than she lets on...you note she's even starting to put up with Alavid's two pests, too. (And with Alavid, come to that.)

Lady Maelin Jul 25 2006 11:29 PM

NOTICE ::wave:

As of today, I will be taking some time off, from doing the portraits. I will be resuming them on the First of September. I am sorry that I didn't get the four members that are still on the list(as mentioned below) finished before I was scheduling my break. I promise that I will do all of them as soon as possible... I am going to the L.A. World Con. and need to get a project finished before we go.

YOUR PATIENCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED:) ....Lady Maelin

Anareth(working on)
Matt
Lily
Dragongirl
Jube(need photo and info) but your on the list !!!
Bisbe(photo and info needed) good luck!!!

jube Jul 25 2006 11:42 PM

Okay, I'll wait until you come back before sending my photo etc. Well, all I ask is that you please consider me on your next list. Have lots of fun at the World Con in L.A.

Anareth Jul 26 2006 12:49 AM

WorldCon? Lucky you! *counting down to her one con of the year, GenCon* Have a great time!

Lily Jul 26 2006 08:01 AM

you have a wonderful time Maelin. I am so far away from all SF Cons I can only yearn and enjoy them through the re-telling of those more fortunate.

Hans Jul 26 2006 11:01 AM

Hey, Lily, me too. There are two yearly SF convention-like events in my country but for any good stuff I have to travel abroad. I also think, or is that just me, that the conventions (abroad) ask for memberships/entrance fees that are much too expensive (especially if you have to add cost of traveling and lodging) :(

I have one vastly "unfair" other advantage over you though... I'll be taking a sixteen day vacation in Ireland this year from August 5 to 21 ;)

AnnMarie Jul 26 2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans

I have one vastly "unfair" other advantage over you though... I'll be taking a sixteen day vacation in Ireland this year from August 5 to 21 ;)

Stopping in to see THE Dragonlady, Hans?
You'll be flying right over my head, probably.

Hans Jul 26 2006 03:59 PM

Of course, AnnMarie :) I wouldn't dare not staying at Dragonhold (ever talked to Anne personally?) :)

Where do I wave from the plane?

AnnMarie Jul 26 2006 09:22 PM

I haven't even set eyes on The Lady...but my warmest greetings to her, please.

Wave as you fly over the Beds/Bucks/Herts area!

edith Jul 27 2006 07:52 AM

send my greetings along too! dunno if you'll fly over me! Everyuone else does though!

bisbe Jul 28 2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
Anareth, the eye surgery I am having is for Cataracts, this is the second eye, and it will be the third operation I have had.

I am very glad you are being so patient, and waiting so nicely for me to get to your portrait. I work on them everyday, and some times I can do one faster than with other one, just depends on what I am putting in them, and how much work is involved. Some of these last ones were a lot more involved than some of the first ones were. I am also trying to think of new things to put in them or show in them. So hopefully it will be worth your wait.

Lady Maelin I pray your cataract surgery goes as good as mine did. I was in and out of the operating room within an half hour.
My dog and I hit heads and we both ended up with cataracts!
I would love to have you do my picture also. But I do have a request--Can it wait about 9 months? I am loosing weight for health reasons and I'd love it to be of the slimmer me, not of the fat me.

Betsy
aka bisbe

Dragongirl Jul 29 2006 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
NOTICE ::wave:

As of today, I will be taking some time off, from doing the portraits. I will be resuming them on the First of September. I am sorry that I didn't get the four members that are still on the list(as mentioned below) finished before I was scheduling my break. I promise that I will do all of them as soon as possible... I am going to the L.A. World Con. and need to get a project finished before we go.

YOUR PATIENCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED:) ....Lady Maelin

Anareth(working on)
Matt
Lily
Dragongirl
Jube(need photo and info) but your on the list !!!

S'okay Maelin I'm a very patient person and I know you shouldn't rush an artist:wekiss: Hope that surgery goes well!

Oh and Hans, could you say Hi to Anne for me please?:bouncy:

Hans Jul 29 2006 07:33 AM

Of course, I'll do it gladly Dragongirl (does she know you/your real name?)

Lady Maelin Jul 29 2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisbe
Lady Maelin I pray your cataract surgery goes as good as mine did. I was in and out of the operating room within an half hour.
My dog and I hit heads and we both ended up with cataracts!
I would love to have you do my picture also. But I do have a request--Can it wait about 9 months? I am loosing weight for health reasons and I'd love it to be of the slimmer me, not of the fat me.

Betsy
aka bisbe

Betsy,

Don't worry, I can do your portrait when ever you are ready, but I will put your name up on the list, that way you will have a spot, and if you aren't ready yet, I can bump you down. OK...

Lady Maelin Jul 29 2006 03:10 PM

For general information purposes:

I can alter, remove, or change many things that a member might not want to have in there portrait. Just let me know what it is that you don't want included, or that you would like to have changed, and I will do my best to do the portrait as you request it..... Maelin

Anneli Jul 29 2006 05:03 PM

Lady Maelin,

I hope your cataract surgery goes well, and that the pain is minimal :) And have a wonderful time at WorldCon, you truly deserve it :good:

Dragongirl Jul 30 2006 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans
Of course, I'll do it gladly Dragongirl (does she know you/your real name?)

Nah unfortunatley I haven't had the honour of meeting the Dragonlady...tell her Sammy, one of her younger fans says G'day!:)

Lady Maelin Aug 1 2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anneli
Lady Maelin,

I hope your cataract surgery goes well, and that the pain is minimal :) And have a wonderful time at WorldCon, you truly deserve it :good:

Thank you dear friend,:heart: I still wish that you were going to be there with us. I will let you know all that happens and who we get to see...and send you pictures too. :good: :bouncy: :good:

The operation will go great, I can't wait to see with both eyes again. YIPPPEEE !!!