A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Petaybee and Acorna (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Parts of Acorna too adult? (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=22)

Pam Nov 26 2004 10:57 PM

Parts of Acorna too adult?

Many Anne fans find the books in the Acorna series are their least favorite. I believe this is partially due to the fact that they were actually written as Young Adult books, and therefore directed to that audience. However, some of the topics addressed in the Acorna books, in the very first book particularly, are pretty adult. Are they too adult?

Greenrider Tresa Nov 27 2004 06:17 PM

Re: Parts of Acorna too adult?

Maybe, a little, but I like that Anne doesn't try to sugar coat everything.

Tresa

Cheryl Nov 27 2004 06:41 PM

I guess it depends on how young the reader is, and how...educated they are to certain realities in this world. But I'm sure there are some parents that wouldn't want their kids reading them before a certain age.

K'vin Nov 27 2004 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl
I guess it depends on how young the reader is, and how...educated they are to certain realities in this world. But I'm sure there are some parents that wouldn't want their kids reading them before a certain age.

I agree

AnnMarie Nov 27 2004 09:56 PM

I hadn't noticed anything in Acorna that most kids in their mid to late teens don't already know something about....

Shani Nov 29 2004 10:27 PM

I'm just going back over Acorna and I certainly wouldn't be reccomending the book to anyone younger than mid-teen. Some of the content is likely to be very disturbing to a very young audience I think. I too like how things aren't too sugar coated but for a book written with younger people in mind it may just be a fraction too up front...
Then again it depends on the child too.

Linmag Nov 30 2004 01:17 PM

I was just sitting here agreeing that Acorna would probably not be suitable for anyone under mid-teens, when my daughter wandered by. So I asked her how old she was when she first read Acorna, and she thought she was about 13 or 14, and did not remember being fazed by it at all. I was quite surprised - I'm obviously not as careful a parent as I thought I was, but I think they teach them to approach books quite objectively these days.

AnnMarie Nov 30 2004 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linmag
I was just sitting here agreeing that Acorna would probably not be suitable for anyone under mid-teens, when my daughter wandered by. So I asked her how old she was when she first read Acorna, and she thought she was about 13 or 14, and did not remember being fazed by it at all. I was quite surprised - I'm obviously not as careful a parent as I thought I was, but I think they teach them to approach books quite objectively these days.

It isn't just that, Linmag. It's the fact most of these kids do watch the news, and discuss it among themselves, and I honestl;y don't recall anything in Acorna being more disturbing (or even AS disturbing) as some of the events reported on every day.

Linmag Dec 1 2004 10:41 AM

To be honest, AnnMarie, I avoid watching the news if at all possible, for precisely that reason!

Dragonsqueen Jan 8 2005 06:03 PM

I wouldn't think so, I've come across many people of all ages who love them, I'm more thinking her ship series as the least favourate :sly:

Larra Dragonrider Jul 8 2005 10:08 PM

hmm...
i dunno. mabey i'm just under-sensitive, but i'm not yet mid-teens, but i didn't find acorna disturbing. realistic yes. mabey it was growing up with all this news. i remember when i was in elementary school and trying to remember a day of non violent news.