A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   The Library Café (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM! (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=19)

Cheryl May 30 2008 07:58 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome to MoM, Nikelodeon! :wave:

Kugai May 30 2008 11:14 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Wot Cheryl said Nikelodeon. :) :wave:

Nina May 31 2008 06:13 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome Nikelodeon79

I am impressed - how do you find time for all that?

Goldrider Thais May 31 2008 08:30 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
HELLO TO EVERYBODY!!! ^.^ :wave:

edith Jun 1 2008 06:48 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Draconity (Post 109566)
Hi there, everyone!

My name is Jessica, though I fully anticipate being called by my username anyhow, so feel free to use it. I'm very pleased to have found MoM, and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

I've been a fan of the Pern books since I was a little girl. I'm twenty four now. I've played the piano for seventeen years, and that's the very reason I'm working on a Harper persona. I also knit, read, write, and when I can, I swim and ride horses (though not as often now; I rode for 11 years, until the ranch I rode at was bulldozed).

I'm rereading the Pern books right now, primarily because I've been bedridden for two months with a broken ankle (I'm bionic now; I have sixteen pieces of metal screwed into it! punk rawk!) and I need things to do. I'm really hoping to getting into the fandom again and finding other fans who live in Minnesota (Minneapolis & suburbs), and learning if there are any Gathers that happen in the area.

It's great to meet all of you. I look forward to joining the discussions on MoM!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 (Post 109601)
Draconity: I work in Minnesota and love Pern, does that count?? ;-)

To further introduce myself, I am 28 years old (female) and became addicted to the Dragonriders of Pern series when I was in gradeschool. In 2000, I discovered that the internet contained Pern PbEM clubs and the rest is history. :D In 2004, some online friends and I created our own PbEM club, Islands of Pern. One of my greatest passions in life is writing Pern, though my characters seem to have minds of their own most of the time!! :lol:

When not reading/writing, I have tons of other interests to keep me busy, such as music/singing, working with horses/riding, softball, golf, curling, (just about any sport, really), camping, fishing and other outdoor activities. I also enjoy fishkeeping (I have nine fish tanks :eek:). I have two runnerbeasts (Royale - Arabian and Cody - AQHA) and two felines (Ace & Bogey) ;)

(Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, I'm quite long winded! :blush: )

Welcome both of you! :bouncy:

Draconity Jun 1 2008 12:32 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Thanks very much, Edith!

Thea Jun 1 2008 03:47 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome to the boards, Nikelodeon and Draconity!:wave:

Draconity Jun 1 2008 04:22 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Thanks, Thea!

kevia Jun 1 2008 08:36 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...h/welcome5.gif

Nikelodeon

Greenrider Dawna Jun 1 2008 08:50 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Hello, Nikelodeon :wave: and welcome! :bouncy:

galactica1980 Jun 2 2008 09:09 AM

Re: Getting to know you...
 
Hi I am Gordon,
I am a sci fi buff who has a background of desiring dragons in this world.
Ruth needs a mate

Hans Jun 2 2008 03:32 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Hello Gordon, welcome to the board. I hope you'll enjoy yourself here.

If you have thoughts about Pern to share or discuss, it's best to do so in the designated forum, though. :)
So I moved your second thread to the Dragonriders of Pern forum and renamed it "Jaxom and Sharra". Maybe it'll spark an interesting discussion on Sharra. Have fun :good:

Draconity Jun 2 2008 04:47 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome, Gordon!

Nina Jun 2 2008 04:50 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome Gordon

kevia Jun 2 2008 11:34 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
galactica1980

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...ch/hello45.gif

Brighid Jun 3 2008 07:47 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
:wave: Hi all!!!Welcome and see ya around.

Cheryl Jun 3 2008 09:54 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome aboard, Gordon/Galactica! :wave:

Pernaficionado Jun 8 2008 09:38 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Hi, I am Hazel.
I became a McCaffrey addict in high school. I discovered Dragonsong as the short novel featured in the back of my textbook. My teacher reprimanded me three times because I was called to read aloud and didn't know where the rest of the class was because I was so far ahead. I couldn't stop reading it! I actually checked out the text and finished it at home that night.
That was my beginning but not my end. I raided the libraries until I read every Pern text I could get my claws on:) when I moved out on my own I started combing used bookstores to have a complete Pern anthology(or whatever the word I am looking for here is) And now my mission is replace all of my McCaffrey works with first editions. I am Missing : Dragonflight, Dragonquest, Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums, Dragonseye, Dragon's Kin, Chronicles of Pern: First Fall and Masterharper of Pern.
I am so MAD about Masterharper and Dragon's Kin because I should Have those but I could not get them until they were released in mass market paperback abd it is too soon to find them in used book stores. oh well:(
I don't do a lot of web surfing so I hadn't come across this site before. I found it while looking online for the info regarding the new todd mccaffrey novel due out this fall. Thai looks like a Pretty Great site.
It was nice to post for you all. Thank you for your time

kevia Jun 8 2008 09:59 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...putergq3-1.gif Hi, Hazel!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...ch/hello19.gif

Cheryl Jun 8 2008 10:09 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome Hazel! :wave: You found the right place, methinks! We have lots of collectors of Anne's books here, and a whole forum devoting to collecting, so we should be able to provide any advice you need on finding what you're missing.

mawra Jun 8 2008 10:30 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
I have been off line for the last couple of weeks, so I want to say


welcome

to anyone who has joined recently

Pernaficionado Jun 8 2008 10:51 PM

Mawra, The english teacher in whose class I found the pern novels had that phrase attached to her door:) MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY & GOOD WITH KETCHUP!!!!!!!!
I loved it.

and thanks everyone for the welcome. I have never joined a forum so I am still having trouble with the tools. how do i use the smilies?

I posted a thread in another part of the forum and i am not sure where now, lol. I wanted to know more about McCaffrey quest and more specifically about the brainship books. What are those?

AH HA! I found the smilies!!!!:D
never mind i got it now:blush::sly::shhh:

mawra Jun 8 2008 11:06 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
To post smileys you have to hit the "Go Advanced" button that is just below the reply box.

The Brain Ship book are books that were written by Anne. They have to do with people, usealy babies, who would not normally be alive because of birth defects. The babies were put in to capsuls that aloud them to live. When they were trained the were put in to spaceships. They became the spaceship. They were pared with "Brawns" who were train people to work with the "Brain" ships. Most of stories are space ships, brawns. There is on "The City Who Faught" were the Brain was a city. I like the books. "The Ship
That Sang" was the first.

Sandi Jun 8 2008 11:09 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Annefans are always welcome here! I'm sure you'll find your way around pretty quickly and occasionally wonder what your life was like before you became a MoMer. Personally, I can't imagine it! But don't be shy about asking questions either. We'll be glad to help any way we can.

Pernaficionado Jun 8 2008 11:11 PM

I see. I really couldn't get as involved with the rest of anne's work, unfortunately. I couldn't finish nimisha's ship or her acorna books. I don't know why, i just didn't enjoy them. I count that as a failing in myself i suppose.:roll:
thank you for clearing that up though:)

I was scoping the site earlier and posted a reply to a question about chocolate on pern before i realized how old that thread was!:blush:

Sandi Jun 8 2008 11:18 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
We are all individuals with our own tastes. Not everyone enjoys the same things. Anne's works are varried and most of us like some of them better than others. Some that are one person's favorite, another person doesn't like at all. That's human nature. Don't feel bad if you just can't get into all of them. Pern is far and away the most popular, I believe, so you'll get along well with the majority of us! :)

mawra Jun 8 2008 11:31 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
I did not like the Acorna books either.

kevia Jun 8 2008 11:33 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
I agree with Sandi. I don't care for the Acorna books either. I never did finish reading them. Some of her books are just more fun for me than others. All that means is that she is an incredible author able to write for a wide range of tastes. No one could get that wide of a range into one book! :D

Pernaficionado Jun 8 2008 11:41 PM

I can appreciate all of that . I believe that i enjoy pern because I have a strong tilt toward literary fantasy. I was actually dissapointed that i didn't enjoy acorna. I tried the twins too but oh well. My oth er favorite authors include stephen lawhead, susan cooper and jean auel. Maybe that will give a clearer view of where i am in literature

with the notable exception of douglas adams i tend to stay away from the more technical bits of SCIENCE fiction. I made a brief run at westerns in my early teens. I still kinda shake my head at that and I am still not sure what pulled me in that direction or why i stopped reading them. I know i read every one in the western section of my local library before i was done tho:lol:

kevia Jun 8 2008 11:54 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Hazel, have you read Mercedes Lackey?

Pernaficionado Jun 9 2008 12:02 AM

nope. I have thought about it since she is always on the same shelf so to speak as anne, I just haven't found a synopsis i like

Or I find something new from one of my fave authors and opt to get that instead. Seems like there is always something:D. I want to tho, what do you recomend?

kevia Jun 9 2008 12:28 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Start with "Arrows of the Queen" and go on to the other 2 "Arrows" books. They were the first ones Lackey wrote of that series and are the best to start with, at least the first time you read the series. I think you will really like them! :D

Pernaficionado Jun 9 2008 12:40 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
thanks!

Cheryl Jun 9 2008 01:25 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pernaficionado (Post 110079)
I was scoping the site earlier and posted a reply to a question about chocolate on pern before i realized how old that thread was!:blush:

No problem reviving and old thread; just because it hasn't been discussed in a while doesn't mean we never want to hear about it again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pernaficionado (Post 110078)
I see. I really couldn't get as involved with the rest of anne's work, unfortunately. I couldn't finish nimisha's ship or her acorna books. I don't know why, i just didn't enjoy them. I count that as a failing in myself i suppose.:roll:
thank you for clearing that up though:)

I think Acorna is an acquired taste (and one I haven't acquired myself); it really shows that the series was written for teens.

Pern is certainly Anne's most popular series, and many fans of it never do care for her other works. I like most of her series but definitely some are much better than others. What others of Anne's books have you tried?

Kugai Jun 9 2008 02:38 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome to MoM Gordon and Hazel :) :wave:

edith Jun 9 2008 02:27 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by galactica1980 (Post 109708)
Hi I am Gordon,
I am a sci fi buff who has a background of desiring dragons in this world.
Ruth needs a mate

Welcome :wave:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pernaficionado (Post 110064)
Hi, I am Hazel.
I became a McCaffrey addict in high school. I discovered Dragonsong as the short novel featured in the back of my textbook. My teacher reprimanded me three times because I was called to read aloud and didn't know where the rest of the class was because I was so far ahead. I couldn't stop reading it! I actually checked out the text and finished it at home that night.
That was my beginning but not my end. I raided the libraries until I read every Pern text I could get my claws on:) when I moved out on my own I started combing used bookstores to have a complete Pern anthology(or whatever the word I am looking for here is) And now my mission is replace all of my McCaffrey works with first editions. I am Missing : Dragonflight, Dragonquest, Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums, Dragonseye, Dragon's Kin, Chronicles of Pern: First Fall and Masterharper of Pern.
I am so MAD about Masterharper and Dragon's Kin because I should Have those but I could not get them until they were released in mass market paperback abd it is too soon to find them in used book stores. oh well:(
I don't do a lot of web surfing so I hadn't come across this site before. I found it while looking online for the info regarding the new todd mccaffrey novel due out this fall. Thai looks like a Pretty Great site.
It was nice to post for you all. Thank you for your time


:welcome:

Good luck!

Finding some of those 1st eds will be hard!

Draconity Jun 9 2008 03:05 PM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Welcome to both of you!

Sandi Jun 10 2008 01:37 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pernaficionado (Post 110088)
I can appreciate all of that . I believe that i enjoy pern because I have a strong tilt toward literary fantasy. I was actually dissapointed that i didn't enjoy acorna. I tried the twins too but oh well. My oth er favorite authors include stephen lawhead, susan cooper and jean auel. Maybe that will give a clearer view of where i am in literature

with the notable exception of douglas adams i tend to stay away from the more technical bits of SCIENCE fiction. I made a brief run at westerns in my early teens. I still kinda shake my head at that and I am still not sure what pulled me in that direction or why i stopped reading them. I know i read every one in the western section of my local library before i was done tho:lol:

I read some westerns when I was a kid too.:blush: I think I mostly read them because my dad had a good many of them and they were there. As far as fantasy goes, I've been a Tolkein fan since the 70's. I don't think Anne thinks of the Pern books as fantasy, though, at least not beyond the consideration that all futuristic Science Fiction is fantasy in a way. The books I tend to like often depend on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I want to just quit this planet and take off for Ballybran or become a Brainship and go wherever I choose. I've read the Pern books so many times they seem comforting and homey to me. And when I get nostalgic for my "horsey days" I dive back into The Lady. I think part of what has kept Anne so popular for so long is that she writes such a wide range of stories and scenarios that I can't imagine how there could be anyone who doesn't like something she's done.

GinnyStar Jun 10 2008 02:53 AM

Nice place to come and chat about Pern and all of Anne and friends co-writer helper and more. I ame still new at the chat part.

Hi from Wisconsin and a hello to all the rest here too. By the way what is GoodSearch for by the way.

Kugai Jun 10 2008 03:15 AM

Re: Say Hello and Be Welcomed to the Library Café on MoM!
 
Hey ginnystar :wave: Welcome aboard :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey’s fiction are copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2008, all rights reserved, and used bA Meeting of Minds forum owned by Cheryl B. Miller.
All references to worly permission of the author.