A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Monthly AMC Book Discussions (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Book/Theme Discussions Sign Up Thread (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=6305)

Anneli Feb 6 2009 05:02 PM

Book/Theme Discussions Sign Up Thread

As discussed in another thread, we seem to have sufficient interest to start a new book/theme series of discussions. :bouncy: If you would like to lead such a discussion, please sign up here, preferably with some indication of the theme/book you'd like to lead on (although that's not essential at the early stages).

"Leaders" are not expected to know the book/theme backwards :) But if you volunteer to lead a discussion, you should be prepared to post several questions or comments during the month in which your book/theme is the main subject, in order to promote and actively encourage debate :D

For historical reasons ;) our "months" will run from the fifteenth day :sneak:

If you're interested, please post in this thread and one of the MoM staff will add you to this list :good:

#1 Anneli 15 Feb - 14 March 2009. Theme = Ninth Pass Hatchings - unique or repetitious?
#2 draconichybrid 15 March - 14 April 2009. Theme = Talent
#3 mawra 15 April 2009 - 14 May 2009. Theme = dolphins and other smart animals on Pern

draconichybrid Feb 10 2009 05:35 PM

Re: Book/Theme Discussions Sign Up Thread

I'd like to lead a discussion (duly taking notice of Cheryl's point about fear)

Talentverse is best, due to the "if you volunteer to lead a discussion, you should be prepared to post several questions or comments during the month in which your book/theme is the main subject, in order to promote and actively encourage debate" rule, and the fact that Talentverse (TTATH pentad specifically) is really the only metatopic I'm familiar enough with to expect my posts to be sufficiently relevant and intelligent.

Beyond the world and temporal settings, I'm up for discussing/debating pretty much anything. Forum crawling in general is a fun way to for me to sharpen my mind and broaden my horizons, trapped in limbo as I am IRL.

GinnyStar Feb 11 2009 09:58 PM

How about how the disable are help on Pern as to here? Leading not right now pershaps after I moved fully!

Brenda Feb 12 2009 11:47 AM

No offense, Ginny, but your posts are often hard to understand - I'm not sure if that would effect whether you could lead a discussion or not.

Cheryl Feb 13 2009 07:46 AM

I don't think there's too much source material in the books for how the disabled are treated on Pern, which makes a topic like that speculation rather than book-based. That's a fine topic for the regular book forum, but not quite right for this more formal book discussion forum.

Anneli Feb 15 2009 03:32 PM

Thanks for volunteering, I've added you to the list :bouncy:

Would you like to narrow down your subject at all? Mind you, with five books it should be manageable, but it might get more participants if you could be more specific? eg, are we talking about events around Rowan's childhood or around Damia's Children becoming full antagonists?

Quote:

Originally Posted by draconichybrid (Post 134343)
I'd like to lead a discussion (duly taking notice of Cheryl's point about fear)

Talentverse is best

GinnyStar Feb 17 2009 12:35 AM

Well my post is just an idea "Shug Shoulder"

mawra Feb 23 2009 10:09 PM

I would like to see a discussion about dolphins and other smart animals on Pern.

Anneli Mar 1 2009 04:55 PM

Mawra, would you be happy to lead that discussion from 15 April? If so, I'll add you to the list :bouncy:

mawra Mar 2 2009 11:53 PM

I will be happy too. I have to find my DOP book. I think I know where it is.

GinnyStar Mar 4 2009 01:28 AM

On dolphins Cool please let me know what happens please?

For I may not up to be full seeing power if the problem is a cataract in my good eye. "Sigh"

Then two different type of secondarily membranes first in front, then in May one in front of the eye. Something like the runner in Skies of Pern. Film over his eyes.

GinnyStar Mar 4 2009 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawra (Post 136394)
I will be happy too. I have to find my DOP book. I think I know where it is.

There is something about it AtWP and SvP too. Also a bit in MHvP I know called shipfish but they are dlolphins. :)

Which may add to the topic discussions on dolphins also fire lizards too on Pern in the 9th Pass.

Dophins are also talked about in DE/RSR about there interaction with humans and dolphins. Also how dragons react to the rubbing of the, the dragon tries to communicate with them The dol-phins rub me, also we just see a small sloop with a red sail but a lot dolphins, Ista's Lord Holder understand them. Bronze would be too big to be on the ship, know not to hold to hard to bend he is swimming to keep up.

Early years the DD and CoP:FF-Dolphins Bell, and small bit in CoP:FF-Second Weyr and CoP:FF-Rescue Run, other types communications

Dragonlovers' Guide to Pern Second Edition has more on Dolphins if that is useful to all of you. Miss prints and all no disrespect to anyone.

I don't know if I well able to add to the topic but I hope my information is useful for you! All!

mawra Mar 4 2009 01:33 PM

I will have to see what books I can find. I can not check anything out at the library right now. I have been bad and have fines to pay.

GinnyStar Mar 4 2009 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawra (Post 136519)
I will have to see what books I can find. I can not check anything out at the library right now. I have been bad and have fines
to pay.

I do have a few of mawa so perhaps I can help or some of the information can be found at hans site, and a few other site like oure hostest here at MoM see here Siggy for the Pern link,.

Also check out the Dragonriders Of Pern of over at NKT I asked a question about plans from DoP and got a lot of good answers.

Aslo look here in Dragonriders of Pen gere tiy fubd sine giid ufirnatuib,

Could Kibby help out get libary books? Or a member in the bb sites?

I still can't read print but you would be suprized what pop ups.
Let me know if I can help in anyway!

Anneli Mar 5 2009 04:38 PM

Thanks, mawra, I've added you to the list :bouncy:

Schisty Apr 12 2017 11:07 PM

Aw, dead thread (oh, is that allowed on this forum? idk...sorry, didn't mean a pun like that)...

Do these not happen anymore?

P'ter May 1 2017 02:29 PM

A lot of these were run by Edith who is now rather busy working on her doctorate, as far as I remember. These days we tend to discuss individual topics in the McCaffrey Collection forum rather than individual books in here. This was a very lively section of the site when the books were still coming out new.

I suppose that they could restart given the interest.

P'ter May 4 2017 02:51 AM

Find one that interests you and post your comment(s). See who replies.