A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Craft Techniques and Processes (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Background for my first Pern base fan fic. (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=6908)

GinnyStar Sep 9 2009 03:56 AM

Background for my first Pern base fan fic.
 
I got an idea to base it on some of the backgound of my family, and buch of stories we told over the years, and giving a Pern based setting.

Working title is Hoofs and Woods
I was lol when I came up with that one.

Its background i am still working on but a woodsmith, his smithcraft brother, and one who became a trader-teamster, which starts the adventurer off. and carter (transporting of their goods) to market.

What do you folks think?

Kath Sep 10 2009 04:27 AM

Re: Background for my first Pern base fan fic.
 
I think it'd be great to see some more stories which are about the average Pernese person, and not just more dragonriders!

GinnyStar Sep 11 2009 02:08 AM

Re: Background for my first Pern base fan fic.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath (Post 150042)
I think it'd be great to see some more stories which are about the average Pernese person, and not just more dragonriders!

Well I am seeing if I can translatet earth into Pern.

Thanks can I get some beta help from you here?
I may just start out with a short story or just a segement at a time and go from there.

Weyrlady Sep 12 2009 02:19 PM

Re: Background for my first Pern base fan fic.
 
I think that's an awesome idea, Ginny!As Kath said, it'll be nice to actually read some Pern fic that's not based on Dragonriders. Dragons are cool and all. . . but you know. . .

Personally, I don,t have a more "formal" beta-reader arrangement for my writing, although it is nice to have others look at your work. I'm a big believer in writng workshops, either online or face-to-face, because it's really quite fascinating, as well as useful, to get other's perspectives on your story. I am currently finishing up my Master's thesis, and have decidedly gotten to the point where I'm tired of looking at my own stuff, so I just ask people that I know are good writers to read it for me and mark it up! This isn't like a 'class', it's more casual like, "Hey Dad, do you have time to read my literature review?"

So what I'm szaying is, another option for you is just writing a chapter or two or whatever amount, and just posting it here, or on the NKT, or wherever (some other writers are undoubtedly more of an expert on that than I would be), and getting people's feedback. Then taking whatever suggestions you feel are worthy and re-writing. There are some great writers on here, and it's great to here from them.

Or you can decide not to post anything until it is done. Whatever works!!

GinnyStar Sep 13 2009 01:39 AM

Re: Background for my first Pern base fan fic.
 
X-Posted from Thread Ships of Pern, background information.
Quote:

Originally Posted by P'ter (Post 150149)
Ginny: I think you'd better transport the water wheel pre-fabricated in sections for final assembly on site. Have you decided whether the wheel is overshot or undershot?

Barges on wheels was an idea of either Fandarel's or Haiman's (so, if your story is set pre-9th pass you have an Anne-omoly problem). I'm not sure any were ever built, but it was a proposition for the transport of raw ore.

There was a type of harvest cart in the mid-west called a 'barge on Apparently this was taken in Minnesota.

They use in Wisconsin too. Nice image.

Its was Fandarel's idea, talked about in DQ.
Quote:

Have you decided whether the wheel is overshot or undershot?
Not yet, working on it. Depending on the current and where I am going to place it. I known they had both three undershot ones at the MasterSmithCraftHall and a too large for what I've got in mind at the dam and power plante south of Landing, (most comes from my mind. And I know a bit how a overshot one works for it was right down the road, from me (It was my father's boyhold home, and birthplace. My dad bought the land right next to his birthplace. He told me one side was a gristmill and the other side was a lumber mill. Its still used for power by my uncle who now has the land.

GinnyStar Sep 13 2009 01:48 AM

Re: Background for my first Pern base fan fic.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weyrlady (Post 150162)
I think that's an awesome idea, Ginny!As Kath said, it'll be nice to actually read some Pern fic that's not based on Dragonriders. Dragons are cool and all. . . but you know. . .

Personally, I don,t have a more "formal" beta-reader arrangement for my writing, although it is nice to have others look at your work. I'm a big believer in writng workshops, either online or face-to-face, because it's really quite fascinating, as well as useful, to get other's perspectives on your story. I am currently finishing up my Master's thesis, and have decidedly gotten to the point where I'm tired of looking at my own stuff, so I just ask people that I know are good writers to read it for me and mark it up! This isn't like a 'class', it's more casual like, "Hey Dad, do you have time to read my literature review?"

So what I'm szaying is, another option for you is just writing a chapter or two or whatever amount, and just posting it here, or on the NKT, or wherever (some other writers are undoubtedly more of an expert on that than I would be), and getting people's feedback. Then taking whatever suggestions you feel are worthy and re-writing. There are some great writers on here, and it's great to here from them.

Or you can decide not to post anything until it is done. Whatever works!!

Right now I am gathing bits, I just got what I call some good :good: and some backup for my vision and english problems. and bad :razz: at that :roll: at one of posts I've rea which I sort re-fire at for I was :flame: at the member who posted it, not anyone here..

GinnyStar Apr 19 2011 02:39 AM

Re: Background for my first Pern base fan fic.
 
Drabbles on Craft life, I've got another on a weavers craft, but nothing sold at the moment. But I think reading about weaving, and asking some question have given me an idea or two.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

ds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey’s fiction are copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2008, all rights reserved, and used bA Meeting of Minds forum owned by Cheryl B. Miller.
All references to worly permission of the author.