A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Exhibit Hall (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Newest dragon cross stitch (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=7514)

Priscilla Mar 20 2010 03:47 PM

Newest dragon cross stitch

You can never have too many dragons, right? I bought this pattern and decided to do it up. It came with a piece of dyed linen fabric, which I don't know how to stitch on so I sent that to a friend who does crafts with cloth, etc. The pattern itself calls for only one color of thread, but I thought that would be too bland. Looking at the photo of a completed dragon that came with the pattern it looked like there had been at least two shades used, so I went through the pattern and marked it up based on how I thought it ought to look. Now, I could do it in as many colors as I want (reds, browns, greens. . . sky's the limit!) Here it is:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...y/DSCN0730.jpg

Hans Mar 20 2010 03:57 PM

Re: Newest dragon cross stitch

He's gorgeous, Priscilla. A real blue cutie and the shading came out very nice. Well done :good:

Priscilla Mar 20 2010 05:10 PM

Thanks. :blush:

Cheryl Mar 20 2010 05:11 PM

Very lovely, sinuous dragon, and perfectly Pernish! Well done, Cilla!

Priscilla Mar 20 2010 07:07 PM

And now my largest. After 7 years I'd almost convinced myself I never really made this one. A couple weeks ago I was looking through a big box of photos for something else entirely and came across several photos of this. Actual proof that it exists! :faint2: The photo doesn't show how big it was, naturally; and I don't have the pattern currently readily available. I do know it made a pretty good lap warmer while I was sewing it. :shriek:

[IMG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...y/DSCN0727.jpg[/IMG]

AnnMarie Mar 20 2010 07:12 PM

OMG

I love the blue one...but that second one is AWESOME. Having done one large project, I know how much work went into that. My fingers ACHE thinking about how much work went into that!

Priscilla Mar 20 2010 08:10 PM

I think one of the hardest parts was the mass of golden sky. While that may look like mostly one color, it really wasn't and the color changes . . . :faint:

Thanks! What was the big project you've done?

Allen Mar 20 2010 08:48 PM

Love the blue dragon, so much in fact that I want to steal it and use it for a scroll saw pattern.

The other is the cover from Moreta, isn't it? I can only imagine the work making that in cross stitch.

mawra Mar 20 2010 09:41 PM

Both of them are very well done. I wish I could do cross stitch, but my hands won't let me.

kevia Mar 20 2010 10:30 PM

I love both of them, but I'd love doing the first one in cross stitch myself! There's something about the simple elegance of the design that appeals to me a great deal!

Samsara Mar 20 2010 10:59 PM

Wow Priscilla! That looks amazing!! I wish I was crafty like that!

Priscilla Mar 21 2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco (Post 161793)
Love the blue dragon, so much in fact that I want to steal it and use it for a scroll saw pattern.

The other is the cover from Moreta, isn't it? I can only imagine the work making that in cross stitch.

You're more than welcome to, Draco. I can send you a copy of the pattern if that would be easier? Or can you snag it just by looking at the photo of my finished stitching? And yes, the other is the Moreta cover. It took me almost a year and a half to make. That was almost 9 years ago that I started it, I'm sure I'd work faster now.

Thanks, everybody. :)

Brenda Mar 21 2010 10:49 AM

You should try putting that second one in a scanner to take a picture!

Priscilla Mar 21 2010 11:07 AM

I would, except I mailed it to Anne about 7 years ago. Finding the photos of it was a nice trip down memory lane for me! :grin:

AnnMarie Mar 21 2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 161792)
I think one of the hardest parts was the mass of golden sky. While that may look like mostly one color, it really wasn't and the color changes . . . :faint:

Thanks! What was the big project you've done?

I did a scene of an elk on the edge of a lake in a pine forest for my brother. TOok me a full year to get it done, I broke two needles, and I lost track of how many times I jabbed my finger.

r2005 Mar 21 2010 01:33 PM

Both of those are amazing.

Most of my projects are small. I have a couple that I'm nearly finished with, but they need French knots to finish them off, and I have a lot of trouble doing them. The next time I see me grandmother, I need to get her to show me how to do it, again.

Golden Talisath Mar 21 2010 03:19 PM

Wow, the both of them are amazing, the first one looks so simple and yet I can't even imagine how much love and hard work you put in to it! Very nice job, both of them! The Moreta cover looks wonderful!

Allen Mar 21 2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 161829)
You're more than welcome to, Draco. I can send you a copy of the pattern if that would be easier? Or can you snag it just by looking at the photo of my finished stitching? And yes, the other is the Moreta cover. It took me almost a year and a half to make. That was almost 9 years ago that I started it, I'm sure I'd work faster now.

Thanks, everybody. :)

I saved your pic and enlarged it. I'll run it into either Photoshop or Gimp2 and work on it. Now I'll have two reclining dragons.

Priscilla Mar 21 2010 09:17 PM

Can't wait to see it! :good:

GinnyStar Mar 22 2010 02:34 AM

http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...79&postcount=1 remind me of a a member over at the NKT and here vyon. LOVE Moreta! http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...90&postcount=5

Lady Maelin Mar 23 2010 11:22 PM

Cilla...WOW!!!:good::good::good: the new dragon is soooo beautiful...and the idea that you could do it in any color and all the different shades in that color are mind boggling. It's lovely to see your still turning out such fantastic work...I will always cherish and love:heart: the ones that you've created for me especially my Helva:rocket:...she stands watching over me, even now as I type this.;)

Lanen Mar 24 2010 11:41 AM

Priscilla - what a fabulous dragon! Wow! Is that your own original pattern, and if not where can I get hold of it (paying the creator for the work, of course)?

wow... gorgeous...

And I am absolutely with you on the multi-colour decision, adds depth and interest. Wow!

Priscilla Mar 24 2010 04:35 PM

Lanen, you can get that pattern from the craft catalog company called Herrschners. Herrschners.com The pattern is called Paladin and the price I paid for it was $24.99. It came with some fabric.

R'na Mar 24 2010 10:54 PM

Priscilla that is beautiful work.

Lanen Mar 25 2010 06:03 AM

Thanks Priscilla! and having seen the original pattern, your interpretation is definitely better. Miles better!

kevia Mar 25 2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanen (Post 162074)
Thanks Priscilla! and having seen the original pattern, your interpretation is definitely better. Miles better!

I agree!!!

Becky Apr 3 2010 01:49 AM

Cilla.....I love the blue dragon.....like you said now that you've got sorted the shading you can do whatever colors you like! That's awesome and sometimes the most simple patterns draw the most attention.
Not to detract from your Moreta....that one has always amazed me. Especially how you do one inch at a time. I couldn't do it. I have to use up as much of each color as I can when I do my cross stitch, as I've told you. :) I can see how the gold is not all the same color, it really is amazing.
Remember that pansy pic I'm doing? Well, it's sitting at work....untouched for a few months. Since getting my Kindle for Christmas I've been reading. :D But I'll get back to it at some point. I enjoy being able to read again....easily read that is since the Kindle can adjust font size......so once the 'newness' has worn off I'm sure I'll get back to my pansies. :)
Thank you so much for sharing your new dragon pattern!

Priscilla Mar 5 2011 08:35 PM

Here is the latest. This one is also for my son, who really loves dragons. Not that Jenn and Mike don't love dragons too (Mike has two huge dragons tattooed on his upper arms), but Fred likes the kind of dragons I like. Doesn't have to make sense, I guess. :roll:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=DSCN1396.jpg

This has a lot of metallic thread and seed beads on it that don't show up in the picture. Lot of work. Every time I use seed beads I swear I'll never do it again. Then something else comes along and I "forget" how much they aggravate me to work with! :crazy: :lol:

Samsara Mar 6 2011 12:10 AM

It's lovely Priscilla! I love the design of the dragon & the colours you have used. Very nice. :good:

Lady Maelin Mar 6 2011 12:51 AM

Cilla...this one is sooOOOoooo very BEAUTIFUL...The colors you chose with this one make it really stand out very well. Fred is very lucky to have a Mom that is so talented...as are those of us who are also lucky enough to have been gifted:heart::wekiss:::heart: one or more, of your very wonderful creations.:D

Hans Mar 6 2011 03:00 AM

This one is intricate, looks astonishing and also looks large. What a work! Congrats on getting that done. Gorgious!

Priscilla Mar 6 2011 07:24 AM

Thanks, everyone. :blush: It's a kit, I can't claim any credit for the choice of colors. I will claim credit for persevering and getting it done! :crazy: Not too bad though. I started mid-December, and did a few small items as well to keep myself sane. When I do something big, I can't work on it every day!

GinnyStar Mar 6 2011 02:01 PM

Nice one, I've got seed beads, somewere but I find them way to small to work with, got them as part of set, that I still have to unpack yet :roll::good:

kevia Mar 6 2011 07:28 PM

That is SO beautiful!

Anneli Mar 10 2011 05:55 PM

Stunning, as always, :D

jube Mar 11 2011 08:33 AM

Wow :)

Nina Mar 18 2011 05:40 AM

Really beautiful blue dragon - I am almost tempted to get out my needles and start stiching again - very inspirational!!

kimmer Apr 28 2013 03:55 AM

Priscilla,

I LOVE your blue dragon! I would love to have the graph to make this for my 8 year old grandson.
Thanks so much!
Kim
elektrik@butterflied.org

Priscilla Apr 28 2013 10:43 AM

Oh dear. I wish I could accommodate you but it looks like I didn't save the pattern. After doing it in a couple colors I guess I must have decided I'd had enough. I did buy it from a needlework catalog company. Maybe you would be lucky and find it with google? Sorry!

Priscilla May 30 2013 04:56 PM

I'm not sure if I posted a picture of this elsewhere on the site. This is the picture I had framed for Jenn for her 30th birthday.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...IMG_0967-1.jpg