A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Petaybee and Acorna (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New PTB series: as good, better or worse--you decide (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=2510)

ghyle May 9 2006 03:15 AM

New PTB series: as good, better or worse--you decide

You've had time to start on Changelings. How is the new series shaping up compared to the first? Will it be as good, better or worse?

Place your thoughts here.

Menderofillusions Nov 30 2006 08:19 PM

Re: New PTB series: as good, better or worse--you decide

I liked changlings... I was upset when PTB was ended with the birth of the twins. I will hopefully be receiving my Maelstrom before the new year.

c_ris Dec 1 2006 09:05 AM

Changelings was a bit of a let down for me. It was such a great departure from the previous books, and the twins are annoying.

mavryn Dec 2 2006 08:03 PM

i like changelings.it was a neat read.:bouncy:

edith Dec 27 2006 04:46 PM

I liked it... but not as much as the others. I missed familiar characters such as Bunny and Diego and I want to know what happened to the chinese kid with the lion club. I like the Hawaaiian thing though! I only brought it today though so I've only read it once!

Priscilla Jan 2 2007 08:15 PM

I'm afraid I was disappointed.I felt there were just way too many "easy" events, such as "Oooo, the bad scientist just 'happens' to get away after capturing the twins in a tank, so she can crop up in a later book". :brow: I also wanted more about old friends from the other books. I felt the twins parents were far too crazed about sending them off planet and kept them there too long. What, there's some sort of instant city growing up under a volcano, populated by wise seals?! :irk:

Gidget2 Feb 6 2007 08:50 AM

So far I've only read about half of the first book. So far .... well, I am waiting for something large and interesting to happen. I am overlooking various things which I don't particularly like (bits that are rushed, iffy characterisation etc), and remind myself that it was written, like the Harper Hall Trilogy for younger readers rather than proper grown ups (like what I am).

It's not an horrendous read though, although not as good as the first PTB trilogy!

Kath Feb 6 2007 10:02 AM

It can't possibly be worse, can it?

Gidget2 Feb 6 2007 10:24 AM

I take it that you're not a huge fan of PTB then, Kath??

Kath Feb 6 2007 11:33 AM

That would be a no!

;)

Gidget2 Feb 6 2007 11:52 AM

LOL Any particular reason, or just a whole lot of niggles?

Menderofillusions Mar 6 2007 04:54 AM

I like the extention of the series and am gratful for the differences.
I miss the sentiant planet yet was curious about the selkies. Maelstorm was not the end. I am hoping for a conclusion around July. I really enjoy elizabeths and Anne's partnership on these books.

Kathy Rigney Mar 11 2007 12:19 AM

I was hooked with the Changelings! I had not read the previous series and had to back track after reading Changelings and Maelstrom. That was when I discovered there was a previous three. I loved them all and can't wait for the conclusion. I want to know when it will be so I googled it to find the site here.

I read the Dragonriders series years ago but have not followed the rest of her books. I am very fond of Anne's writings and was very impressed with the Changelings.

I play an online game called Ultima Online where I am a tamer with several dragons. The Dragonriders series was one of the influences that caused me to want to become a tamer of dragons. Now if they would fix it so we could fly on them...you can ride them in game now after years of requesting it. We can always hope. ;)

Bruce Nov 24 2012 07:05 PM

I put them on par with the first books.

kindan Dec 11 2012 06:47 PM

Well shoot, I've only read the 2nd series. I'll have to go back and read the original to answer!

Kalta May 4 2016 10:38 PM

Tough for me to decide if I want to read the 2nd trilogy, with no clear majority as to their 'value'. I really liked the original book, the other two in that trilogy were good, but I didn't like the reliance on Petaybee to always save the day. Plus in the 2nd book, as someone with 8 cats, I did not like the murder of all those cats in the one village by that one jerkface. As a homesteader, I liked the portrayal of the lifestyle of the villagers in the first book. I am always leary when it's portrayed that more technology will make everything better.

Brenda May 12 2016 12:12 AM

I read the first of the new books and they just didn't do it for me. Same as when I read the first of the Acorna books about her daughter/s.

When an author changes their writing style because it's for younger readers, it often does not appeal nearly as much - for the kids, either. I remember that.