A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Elizabeth Kerner (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   That's book 1 done! (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=7565)

Lanen Apr 13 2010 11:45 PM

That's book 1 done!

Hiya folks!

Well, that's book 1 finished. :bouncy: First-draft finished, but hey, that's the big one. After this comes 'polished enough to send to my editor' finished :cool:, then 'making the changes the editor wanted' finished :aaah: , and finally 'galleys proofread' finished :roll: - but it's putting in the final word, even if it doesn't stay as the final word, that counts!

And book 2 is chasing on its heels, wanting written!

But for now, I'm going to sleep...:yawn:

Samsara Apr 14 2010 02:05 AM

Re: That's book 1 done!

Yipppeeee! Congrats Lanen!! :D I cant wait!!!!

Hans Apr 14 2010 09:23 AM

My warmest congratulations on a job undoubtebly well done, I can't imagine anything else.

AnnMarie Apr 14 2010 11:07 AM

WHHOOOT!

Progress...always progress.

::: Drapes a snuggly blanket over a sleeping Lanen:::

StevenB Apr 14 2010 05:39 PM

Hurray all the way from Groningen.

jube Apr 14 2010 06:54 PM

:bouncy: Whoo-ooop, whoo-ooop. :bouncy:

Lanen Apr 14 2010 09:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words every body. Ta for the blanket AnnMarie (purrrrr!) and for the good wishes from far away, my dearest love Steven! Have had to rest today, but back to work tomorrow.

Still on kind of a high... :D

kevia Apr 14 2010 10:07 PM

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ral/gordon.gif

Pam Apr 14 2010 11:38 PM

Yay!

P'ter Apr 15 2010 06:45 AM

Of course this is REALLY book 4! :D :razz:

edith Apr 15 2010 02:23 PM

congratulations :applause:

Lanen Apr 15 2010 09:26 PM

P'ter - yep! But I still need to think of it as book 1 so as to get enough backstory into the tale so new readers aren't desperately confused.

Steven once left a note on my desk as to the best way to incorporate backstory into the narrative.

He suggested a prologue:

"Dear Reader - I'm assuming you have already read the first book. If you haven't then please go out and buy it. It's rather good."

Never wonder why I love this man! :D

Hans Apr 16 2010 03:12 AM

:lol:

Steven's suggestion is a BRILLIANT solution! :good:

Samsara Apr 16 2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanen (Post 163067)
Steven once left a note on my desk as to the best way to incorporate backstory into the narrative.

He suggested a prologue:

"Dear Reader - I'm assuming you have already read the first book. If you haven't then please go out and buy it. It's rather good."

Hehe. :lol: :lol: Thats the best thing I've read all day! :lol: :lol:

Very clever!

Lara Apr 18 2010 09:09 AM

Wonderful news, hooray!:bouncy:

P'ter Apr 18 2010 10:56 AM

Lanen: if you need it you may use the following 'appologia' ...

"If in some particular
You (from your knowledge) know we err;
Forgive us since we (for our part)
Write not textbooks, but works of art."

Lanen Apr 18 2010 11:49 AM

Nice one P'ter - what is it from?

P'ter Apr 18 2010 01:02 PM

Original to me, so ...

Lady Maelin Apr 19 2010 01:36 AM

Hurrrrraaay:dance::dance::dance: and Congratulations Elizabeth!!!Here's to another fantastic creation:good::heart::good:.
Lets hope it doesn't need a lot of anything else done to it other than printing it into a book that we can all read...I am getting sooo excited already, and to think that there are going to be at least 2 more in the future for all of us and your other fans to read...:bouncy:YEAH!!!

P.S. time for that long awaited and much needed rest and that grand vacation...well as soon as the ash stops blowing your rides away that is.

P'ter Apr 19 2010 05:30 AM

Of course; if she wanted to be REALLY nice, she could mail us each her electronic file copy for some real 'unbiased' fan mail in return.

kevia Apr 19 2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P'ter (Post 163215)
Of course; if she wanted to be REALLY nice, she could mail us each her electronic file copy for some real 'unbiased' fan mail in return.

Oooo, I LIKE this idea!! http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...al/biggrin.gif

P'ter Apr 20 2010 05:06 AM

Mind you the publishers probably have a contractural clause forbidding such undermining of their commercial base.

Lanen Apr 21 2010 04:32 AM

P'ter - seriously! Kevia, P'ter, thanks for the kind compliment, but I'll wait until it's published to hear what my fans (you know, that's still a strange concept!) think. I don't write for the fans, my friends. I write what the characters and the plot demand. Mostly the characters. ;) I don't take suggestions either! :D

P'ter Apr 21 2010 05:38 AM

Artistic integrity for ever!

Writers of the word unite: you have nothing to lose but your fandom!

Actually I never regard myself as a 'fan': I'm a critical reader! (Just like I'm never a tourist: always a visitor)

jube Apr 21 2010 11:12 AM

P'ter, critical readers always find "foot-in-mouth" disease by fair means or foul by authors and publishers alike ;) It's something that will get picked upon, whether it's grammar, spelling, characters or a storyline that doesn't fit in properly with the rest of the book. The thing is though, is that everyone has an opinion about a particular book / movie et al (what they like or dislike etc...) and others have to accept that that person is simply making an opinion.

Lanen, congrats on getting through book 1 of the new trilogy.

Lanen Apr 21 2010 11:24 AM

P'ter, Jube - interesting to read your comments.

Jube, if there is a storyline that doesn't fit in with the rest of the book, that's called 'lousy writing' and you should stop reading that author! :D

And despite political correctness, or indeed the business aspect of writing, an author does not and cannot write for 'the fans', at least no author worth his or her salt. Writing a book is a deeply personal expression of creativity, of self. There is no point in trying to write for anyone else.

And P'ter, I hope you're teasing. You're right, I have solid contractual grounds for not being able to let anyone read the manuscript.

As for critical readers - I have enough of those. They are, for the most part, people I have known for twenty years or more, who are not fans and do not spare my feelings. Most of them are professional writers. Thanks for volunteering, but I can't accept your offer.

Please forgive me if I sound cranky. I haven't slept more than a few hours for days now, and have had a vicious headache for a week. Not on my best form. I'll post again when Steven is home and I've had some sleep.

AnnMarie Apr 21 2010 12:56 PM

::::makes sure the tea kettle is on, there are cookies(biscuts) in the tin, and hangs a large DO NOT DISTURB sign on the front door::::

Lanen and Steven have more than earned a private break.

Lady Maelin Apr 25 2010 02:00 AM

Elizabeth...Hope your head feels better soon...with Steven home it will relieve most of your stress...when the book gets all wraped up in a beautiful cover, hopefully the rest of your stress with fade away like smoke. Put your feet up and take it easy for a while or go play in your beautiful garden...you more than deserve it .

Anneli Apr 28 2010 06:36 PM

To quote from one of my favourite books from childhood:

THREE MILLION CHEERS! :D

Lanen Apr 29 2010 05:36 AM

Oooh, I like that Anneli! Thanks :D What book is that from?

P'ter Apr 29 2010 06:24 AM

I THINK it's from a whole series. Nancy (Ruth) Blackett eh Anneli? She says it about twelve times in all: mostly in Secret Water and Missee Lee.

Lanen Apr 29 2010 01:23 PM

Ok, I'm sensing a big hole in my UK cultural awareness... never heard of the author or the books. :O

P'ter Apr 29 2010 06:43 PM

When you have a spare hour or two; check some of Arthur Ransome's books out of the library.

Lanen May 9 2010 05:53 PM

ok, ok, I've read Swallows and Amazons, I've got Brit cred! ;) I just found the world every bit as believable as the one that Bertie Wooster and Jeeves inhabit... but thanks for letting me know the reference.

Keruval May 11 2010 10:45 AM

Lanen - so pleased to hear another book from you in the offing. I drop by your website from time to time in hope of fresh news but as luck would have it, have not done so recently.

Goos luck with all the following stages :)

Hans May 11 2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keruval (Post 163967)
Lanen - so pleased to hear another book from you in the offing. I drop by your website from time to time in hope of fresh news but as luck would have it, have not done so recently.

Goos luck with all the following stages :)

Just to be certain, you do know that the old .com domain is out of action and that you have to check www.elizabethkerner.org, right?

Keruval May 12 2010 08:34 AM

Thanks for the link - that explains a lot ;)

Anneli May 12 2010 07:24 PM

Sorry not to have replied sooner, Lanen, I was tied up with visitors (Hans ;))

P'ter is right, and I do hope you've been enjoying the world of the Swallows and Amazons - they were stalwarts of my childhood and I still avidly re-read the books at least every other year or thereabouts :bouncy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanen (Post 163911)
ok, ok, I've read Swallows and Amazons, I've got Brit cred! ;) I just found the world every bit as believable as the one that Bertie Wooster and Jeeves inhabit... but thanks for letting me know the reference.

edith May 13 2010 05:54 AM

I remember being totally hooked by them as a child. Living where I did, I spent a significant part of my childhood outside and the books were just right.

I hope that you're enjoying them.

AnnMarie May 15 2010 11:46 PM

Meriah enjoyed them. She also likes the dvds of the show. (Or was it a movie?)