A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Science of Pern (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Plascrete (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=5448)

Hans Jun 20 2008 04:43 AM

Re: Titanium on Pern

Depends on why you wanted titanium, or aluminium, or wood, in the first place. If that reason was weight... stailess steel would be no alternative.

I wonder, with Hamian making leaps and with the knowledge of AIVAS would the Pernese have the ability to make plascrete again?

Emeraldrose Jun 20 2008 09:22 AM

Not to go off topic ;) but I have wondered about the use of plascrete (plastic concrete?) Esp with all the environmental concerns about plastic being in landfills forever....I question whether the rediscovery of plastic is a good thing...I know it is listed in DLG as a new craft .....Also the thought occurred that with the eradication of thread how long before pople might go back to using pressed vegetation etc and move out of caves? Would they?

Hans Jun 20 2008 09:28 AM

Uhm... plascrete is indeed light as pastic and durable/hard as concrete and there the comparison ends :)

Who knows Emerald, someone in the future (read: the pern colonists future) might have come up with some substance that reduced "plastic" (which could mean any artifical, manmade stuff) to harmless stuff. Maybe they had "plas" made from natural materials that could act as fertilizer when rendered to mush again.. who knows. I'm one of the optimistic SF fans :) I always got for the good scenarion, not the doom one ;)

Emeraldrose Jun 21 2008 10:35 AM

Re: Plascrete

That is the advantage of Sci Fi just as war,poverty and other societal ills are eliminated is Star Trek (until later anyway ;) ) we can always assume the best...I do tend to be a more optimistic sci fi reader but so many sci fi stories are based on a doom/gloom scenario it seems....Guess that is another reason to love Anne so much...

GinnyStar Jun 22 2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emeraldrose (Post 111224)
That is the advantage of Sci Fi just as war,poverty and other societal ills are eliminated is Star Trek (until later anyway ;) ) we can always assume the best...I do tend to be a more optimistic sci fi reader but so many sci fi stories are based on a doom/gloom scenario it seems....Guess that is another reason to love Anne so much...

I think depend on the what is used. Some plasic today has corn I thing as its base, It can break down in a few weeks. Don't recall where I hear or read about that off the top of my head.

edith Jun 23 2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinnyStar (Post 111359)
I think depend on the what is used. Some plasic today has corn I thing as its base, It can break down in a few weeks. Don't recall where I hear or read about that off the top of my head.

I've got some carrier bags made of that stuff.

GinnyStar Jun 23 2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edith (Post 111433)
I've got some carrier bags made of that stuff.

So do I. My very crafty gradma made two holder for the extra one out of an out pair a jeans that I had outgrown but the legs are good, she put a hander of cloth or some like that. Gather up the bottom of the leg. So you get one not just a whole bunch.

When done shoping. take and roll them up. Flaten them out and roll twards the open. You will get all the air out something like a sweetroll or jelly roll, along with nice need storage.

Hans Jun 24 2008 04:09 AM

This science stuff is totally out of my league.

What's the toughest "organic"/"plastic" stuff we have nowadays? Kevlar?

GHarris Jun 24 2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans (Post 111575)
This science stuff is totally out of my league.

What's the toughest "organic"/"plastic" stuff we have nowadays? Kevlar?

Either that or Carbon Fiber (because it still has to be applied and held together with some sort of synthesized compound).

GH

GinnyStar Jun 25 2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHarris (Post 111620)
Either that or Carbon Fiber (because it still has to be applied and held together with some sort of synthesized compound).

GH

It is very strong. They have to use a specal bonding compoud and in layers, bake in a specal oven. But one thing it can be very brittle in spots. Just thing of what happen to 'Cloumba' Sorry about the spelling my fingers are getting very tried an I have to go to bed soon. I have another apointment fill day.

The 'Starship" was at the time the 1 st. Carbon Fiber body jet by the FFA, the certication of it took a long time. Also it was the chase plane used for "SpaceShipOne' Check with NASA website for more information I would thing, or Discovery or History online too.

It help to be an airplane nut. Sciene and History Background of it Nut. Have a dad who flys and a bunch of friends who love airplane as much as I do.

Danel Dec 27 2008 07:05 PM

Dow Chemical is building a Organic Plastic factory in Brazil that will make plastic from. . .

Sugar Cane!

Although termed as Bioplastics by most, this is not to be confused with the corn based Biodegradable Plastics.

CuriousFlit May 25 2015 07:27 PM

Didn't the Pernese turn pressed vegetable matter into plastic somehow in DD when they where building Landing? I remember them being worried that Thread would eat their houses because of the plastic being made from organic material. After discovering Thread, they only used that plastic for furniture from then on until the technique was lost.

Brenda May 26 2015 02:03 PM

There was silicon-based plastic, which was Threadproof, and carbon-based plastic, which was not. I think the carbon-based was partly made of processed plant material.

GinnyStar May 30 2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuriousFlit (Post 196388)
Didn't the Pernese turn pressed vegetable matter into plastic somehow in DD when they where building Landing? I remember them being worried that Thread would eat their houses because of the plastic being made from organic material. After discovering Thread, they only used that plastic for furniture from then on until the technique was lost.

Yes Bay and Pol were talking about while watching, from their home laboratory.

That as not a plastic but yes the stakeholders that were complete took by Threadfall during the First Fall, just the roofs and other heavy silica based plastic, were only left on the stakes.

Yes they were made into something that was burnable for they used it to cremate Ted Tubberman with after he was killed at his stake.