A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Petaybee and Acorna (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Errors in Changling (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=1984)

Jenny Jan 20 2006 08:57 PM

Errors in Changling

I have recently bought and read Changling and while I enjoyed it I found some startling consistency errors. Several times Nanook and Coaxl(sp) are refered to as being either male/female in one sentence and then in another it will switch. If memoryserves me Nanook was male, and Coaxl was female. Now I just finished reading but if some else has some insight on this let me know.

Topaz the Golden Jan 21 2006 11:09 PM

Re: Errors in Changling

I saw that too, but thought I was mistaken I haven't read the books in a long time.

Jenny Jan 22 2006 03:41 PM

Well when it happened the first time I just shrugged it off because sometimes that happens but throughout the book the references keep swithing back and forth as if the person could never remember from one moment to the next

Gidget2 Jan 23 2006 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny
I have recently bought and read Changling and while I enjoyed it I found some startling consistency errors. Several times Nanook and Coaxl(sp) are refered to as being either male/female in one sentence and then in another it will switch. If memory serves me Nanook was male, and Coaxl was female. Now I just finished reading but if some else has some insight on this let me know.

I recently completed a complete cast listing of the PTB series (the first 3 books) and in the final book, the same thing happens. Yes, Nanook is male and Coaxl is female. In the book Cita refers to Coaxl as male and female in the same paragraph, so it's not just you Jenny!!

jenny Jan 27 2006 05:29 PM

I always thought in the final book, 'Cita was just mistaken in assuming Coaxl was male. oh, well.

Gidget2 Jan 30 2006 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenny
I always thought in the final book, 'Cita was just mistaken in assuming Coaxl was male. oh, well.

After spending all those months with her??????????

Cheryl Jan 31 2006 06:39 PM

Hmm, I finally have the book in hand, now I need to find time to read it!

Jenny Jan 31 2006 08:30 PM

Well there was alot of fur

ghyle May 1 2006 07:43 AM

Quote:

Well there was alot of fur

I may just quote you with this one. :)

c_ris May 3 2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

I have recently bought and read Changling and while I enjoyed it I found some startling consistency errors. Several times Nanook and Coaxl(sp) are refered to as being either male/female in one sentence and then in another it will switch. If memoryserves me Nanook was male, and Coaxl was female. Now I just finished reading but if some else has some insight on this let me know.

Yup, I saw that as well. The things that I noticed:

The change of Nanook's sex from male to female:

Nanook as male: "Nanook's diction was.. much better than the dog's. Clodagh regarded her speculatively. 'It talked to me,' Bunny told her, blinking rapidly. 'This cat is a he, not an it' Clodagh told her." (Powers That Be (Corgi, 1994) p. 272-3)
"Nanook's ears were the first part of him to wake up." (Changelings (Ballantine, 2006) p. 13)

Nanook as female: "Nanook complained. The intrepid track cat was getting a little tired of playing nanny. Nevertheless, she dutifully turned round and used her hind paws to spray powdery snow over the snow pants and parkas" (Changelings, p. 40)
"Hush younglings, Nanook's voice, purring and kind, said, as she insinuated her soft furry self between them and lay down with her head cradled on her paws" (Changelings, p. 83) [bold added
]

Yana's demotion from Colonel back to Major:

Colonel:Whittaker Fiske: " ' Colonel Yanaba Maddock and Dr Sean Shongili... will share a joint governorship of this planet, Petaybee...' " (Power Lines (Corgi, 1995) p. 372)
" 'You've been well, Millard?' 'Tolerably, thank you, Colonel Maddock-Shongili' " (Power Play (Corgi, 1996) p. 42)
Major:"Major Yanaba Maddock-Shongili was quite will to assume the seat and stretch her legs" (Changelings, p. 9)

And the simple (but annoying) drop of the last 'e' from Johnny Greene's name:

Greene: " 'Captain John Greene of the shuttle Sockeye' " (Powers That Be, p. 315)
Green: " "Johnny!" they both cried, and ran to hug Captain Green" (Changelings, p. 45)

ghyle May 3 2006 06:38 PM

Sounds like we need a McCaffrey Integral Edition, just to sort out all the errors and inconsistencies!

Greenrider Tresa May 3 2006 08:36 PM

That would be what, 2000 pages?
And then, I wonder if the editions in other languages have more errors of their own...

eann Mar 15 2009 12:54 AM

It was fifteen years between the last book in the series and the first one in this one and we didn't do a detailed review to include the sexes of the cats (who are notoriously hard to sex anyway). A couple of fans pointed out these errors and I sent corrected copy to the publisher for the paperback edition and they promised to change it. Next time I'm not sure of some detail I'll write to this list and ask you guys first--your memories of the details are better than Anne's and mine!

jube Mar 15 2009 01:07 AM

We're a helpful lot :D:D

I've read the first 3 and Changelings but then I haven't read Maelstorm and Deluge yet to add further comments to what was already said here.

eann Mar 15 2009 01:27 AM

We got straightened out after Changelings I think so the cats were the appropriate sexes.

P'ter Mar 15 2009 05:14 AM

I'm sure we could find you a panel of 'beta' readers.

eann Mar 15 2009 05:53 AM

Good to know!