A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Freedom (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Farming with Earth lifeforms (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=1162)

Sandi May 9 2005 07:43 PM

Farming with Earth lifeforms

There was talk of making Botany a going concern with farming for export. Some questions were brought up about importing animals and plants from Earth because of possible ecological impact. It seemed to me that many of the things farmed by the original Farmers were probably imported there anyway. The grain especially and possibly the loo-cows. Would it make sense to import chickens, cows, green beans, etc. at least on a limited basis? The way the population was swelling they couldn't possible continue in the hunter-gatherer mode and I don't see how rock squats could reproduce and mature fast enough to fill all the needs of the colony, much less be a viable export.

Brenda May 10 2005 06:29 PM

Re: Farming with Earth lifeforms

Not to mention a diet of only rocksquats can't cover all nutritional needs! Even if they do have grain - I forget, did the farmers leave them the grain and the loocows and just take the machines, or did they take everything?

Sandi May 11 2005 01:08 AM

I hate to say it, but that depends on which books you read. They took down the bubble and all their machinery in one book but they were back farming their original sites in the next one. The colonist had a sort of "friendly competition" with harvests. Another thing I wondered about. If they did take their machinery, what about the weather control stations? What would happen to the climate?

Shani Jun 3 2005 07:37 AM

I don't remember them removing all their machines. The humans removed themselves away from the continent the farmers were using and went to one that was dormant. I got the impression the farmers left the weather to work the way it was (mind it's been a while since I've read them, my books are all packed away)

Brenda Jun 4 2005 08:15 PM

I think in the end the farmers did pack up and move out - but the humans had moved first. They started spreading back into the original continent. Wish I had a copy with me - can't find a quote.

Larra Dragonrider Jul 7 2005 11:40 AM

i have a copy, but i'm just too lazy to look right now.
i think that the farmers pretty much packed up, but then why is Zainal so eager to follow them in the fall?