A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Dragonriders of Pern (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spoiler: Dragon's Time Cover Art (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8087)

GinnyStar Feb 5 2011 02:58 AM

Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

The artwork for Dragon's Time, the new Pern novel by Anne and Todd McCaffrey is now in the Fantasy Gallery. You'll recognise it because it features a great big dragon
"Pern Alert" Les has just finished the artwork for Dragon's Time by Anne and Todd McCaffrey. This will be published by Del Rey in the US and by Bantam in the UK. The original concept came from Art director David Stevenson of Del Rey and it's turned out to be a very dramatic piece. Let's hope tha the legions of Pern fans like it. "Oh the pressure!"
from his News section
http://www.lesedwards.com/showpic.php?id=1&pid=725
Dragon's Time Finished
Dragon's Time
Copyright © Les Edwards 2010, All Rights Reserved
Les's Notes:

Cover for the Anne & Todd McCaffrey novel due out in 2011. Commissioned by Del Rey in the USA and also to be used on the UK cover for Bantam.

I had a lot fun with this addition to the Pern series. I spent a lot of time trying to paint the reflections from the snowy ground on the dragon's skin. I was trying to create the effect of a Jumbo Jet lifting off.
---
http://www.lesedwards.com/showpic.php?id=&pid=731
Dragon Time


Medium: pencil on paper

Les's Notes:

Preliminary sketch for the novel by Anne and Todd McCaffrey, due out in 2011 Commissioned by Del rey in the USA and also used on the UK cover for Bantam
Dragon's Time
Copyright © Les Edwards 2010, All Rights Reserved
I can see the top of the Hold much better in this sketch then finished one :blush:
@Staff feel free to remove when time right, its just the images via his site, they got done up date it, GinnyStar
I was right this cover was done by him! :good:

jube Feb 5 2011 09:29 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Check your web addresses Ginny, it won't connect through! Typo mistakes perhaps. Please try again.

jube Feb 5 2011 09:36 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
I think you mean this.....

http://www.lesedwards.com/showpic.php?id=1&pid=725

I realise you're partially blind but please check your typo mistakes carefully as it will and often causes confusion amongst the rest of us. Thank you!

Golden Talisath Feb 5 2011 02:48 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Ahh... very nice! I like the details of the Hold in the back.

P'ter Feb 5 2011 03:12 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
He wanted to effect of a JUMBO-jet taking off?

Where do they store the life-rafts on that?

Greenrider Tresa Feb 5 2011 04:54 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Nice...

James Feb 5 2011 06:03 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Beautiful cover!

Samsara Feb 5 2011 07:40 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
I like it a lot!

GinnyStar Feb 6 2011 02:50 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jube (Post 172546)
I think you mean this.....

http://www.lesedwards.com/showpic.php?id=1&pid=725

I realise you're partially blind but please check your typo mistakes carefully as it will and often causes confusion amongst the rest of us. Thank you!

Thanks I shall fix it. :blush: system acting up not as much.

GinnyStar Feb 6 2011 02:59 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by P'ter (Post 172551)
He wanted to effect of a JUMBO-jet taking off?

Where do they store the life-rafts on that?

:rofl2: you are something there P'ter, but that was what I was thinking. Or trying to take off at the shortest runway, which ends at a cliff over looking the sea, crossed with the highest one on Earth. :blush: something I've recalled seeing on the History Channel.

r2005 Feb 6 2011 07:59 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
I agree that's a very nice cover, and I also really like the details with the Hold in the back.

jube Feb 7 2011 01:40 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Ginny sorry if it sounded like I was taking my frustrations out but I honestly spent several minutes trying to work it out and then eventually I said "stuff it" to myself and looked it up. Think you did a good job for bringing it to our attention though :) Well done.

GinnyStar Feb 7 2011 02:36 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jube (Post 172592)
Ginny sorry if it sounded like I was taking my frustrations out but I honestly spent several minutes trying to work it out and then eventually I said "stuff it" to myself and looked it up. Think you did a good job for bringing it to our attention though :) Well done.

No problem mate, there is something about click on tumbnails, but I didn't quite get it, over at Les site but I've said before, I'm a user not a tech person. ;)

Golden Talisath Feb 7 2011 02:39 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
I haven't read any of Todd's books, but I'm asking those who did: which Hold is this? It reminds me of a picture of Ruatha from, I think, Moreta that I saw on Amazon.

Eriflor Feb 9 2011 12:24 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Talisath (Post 172604)
I haven't read any of Todd's books, but I'm asking those who did: which Hold is this? It reminds me of a picture of Ruatha from, I think, Moreta that I saw on Amazon.

I just looked through the Atlas of Pern, which has the most Hold-maps that can be considered canon, and none of those depicted (Fort, Ruatha, Nabol, Telgar, Half Circle, Igen, Southern, Cove) has that outer building with the high viaduct (arch with a roadway on top) leading back into the cliff-hold.

Most if not all the major northern holds were initially built into a cliff with caves behind it, wings being built outward as needed when the population outgrew the original installation. That viaduct would be more decorative than useful during a Pass. Nice-looking, though.

Of course, there may have been other hold designs during the intervals, especially during the second half of the first Long Interval, when people probably thought Thread was gone for good. And the Atlas of Pern doesn't show all the Holds.

Golden Talisath Feb 9 2011 02:35 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Strange. I'm SURE I saw it somewhere (my head, perhaps:D). Thank you, Eriflor.

Eriflor Feb 9 2011 11:25 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Maybe it was on another of Todd's covers. Or a cover published outside UK/USA, some of which have improbable artwork (like scantily-clad weyrwomen riding dragons during Threadfall).

P'ter Feb 10 2011 07:17 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Nasty in a high wind with that little protection.

The big square tower would make a good dragon landing-pad though. All it needs is a wind-sock.

But I thought flat roofs were a Pernese no-no: most descriptions give steep pitched ones to throw off the thread.

Eriflor Feb 10 2011 01:09 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
It might have been built midway between 2 Passes, with plans to add the Thread-shedding roof before the next Pass. Does anyone know when Dragon's Time takes place, or whether it flips back into a previous Interval?

GinnyStar Feb 10 2011 08:46 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Well we haven't seen anything about Crom, or Bita Hold, good telling of that Hold in Dragonseye/Red Star Rising, Some about Crom and a few other in the co-written ones, It remind me of another book. Can't recall which one.

GinnyStar Feb 10 2011 09:02 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by P'ter (Post 172714)
Nasty in a high wind with that little protection.

The big square tower would make a good dragon landing-pad though. All it needs is a wind-sock. <snip> :lol:

But I thought flat roofs were a Pernese no-no: most descriptions give steep pitched ones to throw off the thread.

Not the towers that lead into a courtyard. Or those who in the constuction phase, Healer Hall in Moreta.

Eriflor Feb 10 2011 09:31 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GinnyStar (Post 172727)
Well we haven't seen anything about Crom, or Bita Hold, good telling of that Hold in Dragonseye/Red Star Rising, Some about Crom and a few other in the co-written ones, It remind me of another book. Can't recall which one.

Well, Bitra Hold WAS built during the First Interval (if I remember correctly), so it may have infringed a few of the rules for Hold-building. But looking through Red Star Rising/DragonsEye, I don't see any reference to a building outside the cliff, and the planning session for the invasion of Chalkin's domain only mentions the various levels within the Hold.

I suspect the cover art was done by someone who'd seen pictures of all those holds that look like cliffs with lots of windows, thought they looked boring, and just added on a mediaeval fort in front.

GinnyStar Feb 10 2011 09:37 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriflor (Post 172729)
Well, Bitra Hold WAS built during the First Interval (if I remember correctly), so it may have infringed a few of the rules for Hold-building. But looking through Red Star Rising/DragonsEye, I don't see any reference to a building outside the cliff, and the planning session for the invasion of Chalkin's domain only mentions the various levels within the Hold.

I suspect the cover art was done by someone who'd seen pictures of all those holds that look like cliffs with lots of windows, thought they looked boring, and just added on a mediaeval fort in front.

There was the re-visit on the outside of it, from Fort's Weyrleder, and the change between the two. No more dead vines, weed trees, and no one coming in from the outer holds.

Benden is shown from above DLGP.

mawra Feb 10 2011 10:37 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Beautiful cover.

Samsara Feb 11 2011 12:41 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
My feeling is that it must be Fort hold, because it's the only one I remember actually being carved out of the mountain like that. Plus which, isn't Fiona from Fort Hold, and currently the Fort Weyrwoman?

Does Fort get snow though?

semantre Feb 11 2011 10:34 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samsara (Post 172736)
My feeling is that it must be Fort hold, because it's the only one I remember actually being carved out of the mountain like that. Plus which, isn't Fiona from Fort Hold, and currently the Fort Weyrwoman?

Does Fort get snow though?

I'm pretty sure Fort gets snow - wasn't the colder weather part of the argument against it as the initial landing site in Dragonsdawn?

Eriflor Feb 11 2011 02:03 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by semantre (Post 172741)
I'm pretty sure Fort gets snow - wasn't the colder weather part of the argument against it as the initial landing site in Dragonsdawn?

No, the northern hemisphere was in the middle of winter when they arrived, and the settlers needed to get their agriculture started as soon as possible. They looked at 3 sites in the south --- one was water-logged and the other was far enough south to be near freezing, so they chose the one near the volcanoes.

James Feb 12 2011 01:44 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by P'ter (Post 172714)
Nasty in a high wind with that little protection.

The big square tower would make a good dragon landing-pad though. All it needs is a wind-sock.

But I thought flat roofs were a Pernese no-no: most descriptions give steep pitched ones to throw off the thread.

That's what I thought about the roofs. I've been collecting references on Viking architecture for when I attempt some pern buildings. Many of the Viking structures have steep pitched roofs.

Eriflor Feb 12 2011 01:57 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
The slope of the roofs on exposed buildings doesn't appear unusually steep in the available pictures (in DLG and the Atlas of Pern), but they all seem to have sloping roofs. Just not the ultra-steep ones you get in very snowy areas (maybe High Reaches has this style).

The cliff-tops above the cliff-holds generally have a network of gutters cut into the rock, filled with pitch (a.k.a. tar) which is ignited before Threadfall to burn any Thread that might land on top and slither down the cliff-face or get carried away by the wind to where it can do some damage. Hence the term 'fire-heights'.

Eriflor Feb 14 2011 11:19 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
I just found Dragon's Fire at my local library and signed it out. It may a while before I can start reading it, but according to the blurb, the action seems to be based on Camp Natalon (somewhere near Crom Hold?).

OOPS --- wrong book --- NOT Dragons time. So long since I read it, I thought it was a new one.

Eriflor.

GinnyStar Apr 29 2011 10:39 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

For the first time in more than three years, bestselling authors Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey, mother and son, have teamed up again to do what they do best: add a fresh chapter to the most beloved science fiction series of all time, the Dragonriders of Pern.

Even though Lorana cured the plague that was killing the dragons of Pern, sacrificing her queen dragon in the process, the effects of the disease were so devastating that there are no longer enough dragons available to fight the fall of deadly Thread. And as the situation grows more dire, a pregnant Lorana decides that she must take drastic steps in the quest for help. Meanwhile, back at Telgar Weyr, Weyrwoman Fiona, herself pregnant, and the harper Kindan must somehow keep morale from fading altogether in the face of the steadily mounting losses of dragons and their riders. But time weighs heavily against them - until Lorana finds a way to use time itself in their favor. It's a plan fraught with risk, however. For attempting time travel means tampering with the natural laws of the universe, which could drastically alter history - and destiny - forever. Or so it has always been thought. But Lorana discovers that if the laws of time can't be broken without consequences, it may still be possible to bend them. To ensure the future of Pern, she's willing to take the fateful chance - even if it demands another, even greater, sacrifice
http://http://www.fantasticfiction.c...gon-s-time.htm

Dragon Fan Apr 29 2011 10:56 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Nice Art, the colors remind me of some of the Micheal Whelan works for PERN book covers.

GinnyStar Apr 29 2011 11:11 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriflor (Post 172803)
I just found Dragon's Fire at my local library and signed it out. It may a while before I can start reading it, but according to the blurb, the action seems to be based on Camp Natalon (somewhere near Crom Hold?).

OOPS --- wrong book --- NOT Dragons time. So long since I read it, I thought it was a new one.

Eriflor.

That OK, its still a Camp but by the time the begining of Third Pass its Mine Natalon its one severday via trader caravan north of Crom Hold.

Kugai Apr 30 2011 02:12 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Nice artwork, but odd.

Kinda looks like a mashup of Ruatha/Fort/Telgar/Helms Deep.

GinnyStar May 1 2011 12:54 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kugai (Post 175577)
Nice artwork, but odd.

Kinda looks like a mashup of Ruatha/Fort/Telgar/Helms Deep.

What is Helms Deep?

Kugai May 1 2011 01:35 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
"Let this be the hour that we draw Swords together"

GinnyStar May 1 2011 01:38 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kugai (Post 175619)

Thanks, I never seen Lord of the Rings, so I didn't have a clue.

Kugai May 1 2011 01:51 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
You've never . . . . . .

*sputter*

:faint:

Kat May 1 2011 11:59 AM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GinnyStar (Post 175561)
That OK, its still a Camp but by the time the begining of Third Pass its Mine Natalon its one severday via trader caravan north of Crom Hold.

Where's it say that Ginny?

GinnyStar May 1 2011 02:57 PM

Re: Dragon's Time Cover Art
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kugai (Post 175624)
You've never . . . . . .

*sputter*

:faint:

I might later, that clip was hard to see to me, all black and shades of gray outside of the torch, and a person face.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

A Meeting of Minds forum owned by Cheryl B. Miller.
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey’s fiction are copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2008, all rights reserved, and used by permission of the author.