A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Doona and Dinosaur Planet/Planet Pirates (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   DPP: It's the 30th Anniversary! (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=5398)

Cheryl Jun 9 2008 11:06 AM

It's the 30th Anniversary!

:party: 30 years ago this month, Dinosaur Planet was published! :party:

I say we celebrate by sharing our favorite remembered scenes from the Dino Planet - Planet Pirate books. (I'll add mine soon, wanted to post this thread now while I was thinking about it.)

Topaz the Golden Jun 9 2008 11:58 AM

Re: It's the 30th Anniversary!

WOW time flies doesn't it. I should re-read them again.

Allana Jun 9 2008 01:16 PM

These are close to my favorite Anne books, in fact, they might be my favorite Anne books. I was just getting ready to reread them, I just have to finish reading the five books I've already started!

As for one of my favorite moments, it would have to be when they realize that the animals are dinosaurs. I don't know why, but I always liked that scene.

Greenrider Tresa Jun 9 2008 04:02 PM

Can't think of anything right off, a sure sign I need to reread them too. Hmm, the realization that they had a dawn horse and a hadrosaur in the camp.

Cheryl Jun 9 2008 05:19 PM

Some scenes I remember:

Lunzie watching the Heavyworlder opera about having to eat meat to survive on their newly colonized homeworld.

Sassinak describing the command presense "lecture" delivered by a seeming little old lady.

Not a specific scene, but Sass's time as a student, hanging out with a motley crew of friends.

Brenda Jun 9 2008 10:21 PM

I just reread the series, and I didn't even know about the anniversary!

GinnyStar Jun 13 2008 10:39 PM

After Pern I read DPS as my next book writen by Anne :)

Much later try to read DP but the copy was very old and so I sent it back to the libary that loan it to me. :aaah: :book: :?: After many years Now I have both together. :) And like story Sass told about the Thek get together.

In the 'Death of Sleep', One was the Theks contact people. Also Lunzie her leaving behind her child to continue her job. also her looking for her after cold sleep. Try find out what to do after the next cold sleep delay.

The last book is not well know to me. I was reading it something happen and I had to return it to the libary that loan it to me. :aaah: poor :book:

and try to find it was not so good. I saw it on web a few days ago.

Pam Jun 14 2008 12:58 PM

They're one of my more favorite groups of Anne's books. I don't particularly have any scenes I like, but they did introduce me to other authors that I love and enjoy, Elizabeth Moon and Jody.

Hans Jun 14 2008 03:51 PM

I like the Planet Pirates books but not the Dinosaur Planet ones.

Think I like the plot and concept of The Death if Sleep most of all. Also the fact that that book at times reads as a thriller/crime novel. What happened to Lunzie is what some historians/genealogists dream of... and dreams it'll stay, fortunately :)

Brenda Jun 14 2008 11:37 PM

I reread this series recently and was amused reading the two cowritten by Elizabeth Moon - her style is so distinctive, and it feels like she was trying out some ideas that showed up in the Familias Regnant series - like allowing an enemy to board in order to defeat them, or a rich old lady being kept in ignorance of crimes on her own yacht...

Becky Jun 16 2008 09:57 AM

I do love Lunzie and Sass! Lunzie is my favorite of Anne's characters. Her having to deal with the cold sleep so many many times and staying sane is what I love. It was Disipline that got her thru all that and I think one of my favorite parts is where she goes back for 'retraining'. :)
I also love it when Sass dresses up for dinner in her midnite blue gown with the silver on it.
One of the most heartbreaking parts of the series is when Sass is carrying her sister Lunzie's body and doesn't even realize it till the end.
I like the Planet Pirates better than the Dino Planet ones but since Lunzie is in DP and Survivors I have to read them. :) I also love the golden fliers so enjoy reading those books for them too.

Greenrider Tresa Jun 16 2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda (Post 110559)
I reread this series recently and was amused reading the two cowritten by Elizabeth Moon - her style is so distinctive, and it feels like she was trying out some ideas that showed up in the Familias Regnant series - like allowing an enemy to board in order to defeat them, or a rich old lady being kept in ignorance of crimes on her own yacht...

Now that you mention it, I can see that too, Brenda. She must have decided to explore those ideas more fully. Though a little of this carried over to the Ky Vatta series too.

[quote=Becky;110677]
One of the most heartbreaking parts of the series is when Sass is carrying her sister Lunzie's body and doesn't even realize it till the end.
[quote]

Oh, definitely. It's making me cry. :blush: Love the golden fliers too.
Forgot to mention, another of my favorite moments is when Sass and Lunzie first meet.

Brenda Jun 17 2008 08:45 PM

I read the first Vatta book a while ago and never got to the rest of them. They're on my "To Read" list.

Greenrider Tresa Jun 17 2008 11:55 PM

( understand about to read lists, got a long one myself. And I'm still trying to figure out how I forgot to get Command Decision when it came out in paperback.

Joz Jun 18 2008 06:28 AM

I haven't read these books for many years, as they aren't my favourites but I do recall a moment when the young Thek (have I got that right?) known as Torr is described as "impetuous." :lol:

McClance Jun 20 2008 02:57 AM

I've only read these books once.

I loved the scenes with the Giffs.