A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   The Information Desk and Suggestion Box (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   funny buttons (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8860)

P'ter Jan 4 2014 04:14 PM

funny buttons

In the reply boxes most of the buttons have little explanations if you pause on them. On my machine, the majority are in English; except for two which come up as "Tekstulak Verkleinen" and "Tekstulak Vergroten".

I can work out what they mean, but can anybody tell me which language they are?

And, why do those two NOT come up in English?

Hans Jan 5 2014 03:44 AM

Re: funny buttons

The second word of both is definitely Dutch. I wouldn't know why these two are not in English, haven't the slisghtest idea. Tekst is also a Dutch word, tekstulak seems like a nonsense, it is not Afrikaans either.

P'ter Jan 5 2014 05:29 AM

Sorry! The first word in each case is "Tekstvlak"

Hans Jan 5 2014 11:47 AM

Ah, then it's definitely Dutch as that just means "text box". Why there are two Dutch descriptions is beyond me. I know in the early years Cheryl set up several language possibilities, so people could chose. In fact I think they are still available, see the absolute left handed bottom of the screen, in the blue on blue bar (but Bulletin Borad never actually handled that real good, so it might be a remnant of some installer or something).

So, your buttons mean: "Make text box smaller" and "Enlarge text box" :)

Note: I myself do not use the Dutch version of the board.

P'ter Jan 5 2014 02:39 PM

My set up is definitely "English UK", so why those two come up foreign beats the Dutch (!)

I'll put it down to a fault(/feature) of V-bulletin.

T2KincaidDano Jan 7 2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P'ter (Post 189920)
In the reply boxes most of the buttons have little explanations if you pause on them. On my machine, the majority are in English; except for two which come up as "Tekstulak Verkleinen" and "Tekstulak Vergroten".

I can work out what they mean, but can anybody tell me which language they are?

And, why do those two NOT come up in English?

I went to translate.google.com and clicked the "Detect Language" button and pasted the text in and Google reported that the language is Dutch. I put the word "Verkleinen" in the textbox and Google reported the meaning to be "reduce" or "shrink." It did not translate "Tekstulak" but that sounds like "text," so perhaps this means change the text font size? I know you said you get the meaning of the words, but I was just curious and thinking out loud here.

P'ter Jan 8 2014 02:58 AM

I think "Tekstulak" means "box" since clicking the buttons changes the size of the text box.

Hans Jan 8 2014 10:26 AM

The word should be tekstvlak with a "v"! tekst meaning text and vlak means field. It's a bad translation enyway because tekstvak (without the L) would be much better, vak meaning box.

P'ter Jan 8 2014 11:06 AM

That's vBulletin for you. :D

Hans Jan 9 2014 05:40 AM

uBulletin?

P'ter Jan 9 2014 07:39 AM

:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

Cheryl Jan 11 2014 10:31 AM

I would guess the fault lies in the language pack I installed for UK English being incomplete, and for odd reasons it substituting Dutch instead of the default US English instead.

I may try to dig into the issue in the next couple weeks and see if I can fix it. It's been a long time since I got into the 'guts' of the forum, so it'll take extra brain cycles to remember what I'm looking at :razz:

Hans Jan 11 2014 10:42 AM

There's no need to, it's just the two expressions that are wrong. Nothing important.

Cheryl Jan 11 2014 10:43 AM

Yeah, it'd be more for curiosity's sake that I'd investigate.

P'ter Jan 11 2014 12:26 PM

Just don't get killed

kevia Jan 12 2014 06:32 PM

I don't know if it matters, but I'm set for English (US) and it does it on mine, too.

Priscilla Jan 12 2014 06:47 PM

Cheryl, tie a piece of string at the entrance and let it out as you explore. Don't use crumbs, you know how well that worked for Hansel & Gretel!

P'ter Jan 13 2014 08:07 AM

Oh no! We're off into string theory (again?)

Priscilla Jan 13 2014 08:49 AM

String and duct tape hold the universe together! :-)

mara Jan 14 2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 190115)
String and duct tape hold the universe together! :-)

and spit:D

Cheryl Jan 14 2014 05:26 PM

Good advice, Cilla!