A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Games and Miscellany (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Game: MoM opens European headquarters in Amsterdam (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=3921)

Hans May 6 2007 03:35 PM

MoM opens European headquarters in Amsterdam

I recently visited Amsterdam to meet with a fellow MoM staff member and we took the tourist canal boat; something I hadn't done for a over three decades.

When we arrived at the end of the tour and the boat was moored our new Meeting of Minds European Headquearters was pointed out to me and of course I needed to take pictures as proof and to show you members, so you know where all your money is going to :lol:

Erm... I can't help it that we are next to a coffeeshop. For those of you not in-the-know, in Amsterdam a coffeshop is the place where you can legally buy and smoke marihuana - we Dutch do this to confuse the matter and tourists of many different nationalities although you would be surprised as to how fast a certain kind of tourist picks up on this :lol: (please no serious discussion about our drugs policy).

Lily May 6 2007 04:20 PM

Re: MoM opens European headquarters in Amsterdam

LOL! Love the new HQ
It IS just a decorative twiddle on the building, isnt it?

Greenrider Tresa May 6 2007 04:24 PM

LOl Neat. :)

Cheryl May 6 2007 06:13 PM

*rubs hands together and thinks of all the things she could do with a building*

Moonlady May 6 2007 07:10 PM

Thanks Hans, I love the new building. Cheryl when can we move in. I am ready to leave the U.S. behind.

Lady Maelin May 6 2007 07:14 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ....Does that mean when I finally get to Holland, and go for a cup of coffee in a local shop...I am going to have to hold my breath or end up stumbling to the curb... badly wanting a bag of munchies.:faint2:

Sandi May 6 2007 07:52 PM

It's a beautiful building, Hans. I don't think I'll worry too much about the neighbors. Now when I come here I can imagine myself looking out one of those upper windows at the scenery below!

Cheryl May 6 2007 08:03 PM

Hmm, shall we all plot out the usage of the building together. I count five stories, plus an attic with dormer windows. The attic would make a hostel-like bunk house for any MoMers that come to visit, and then the floor below that would be a communal gathering area with lots of comfy seating a big screen tv or two, a billiards table...

Hans, what level should we put our administrative offices on?

Emma-Jayde May 6 2007 08:34 PM

What a nice building!
Like Moonlady said, when is it going to be ready for visitors? :lol:

mawra May 6 2007 11:26 PM

Love it I want to come tooo, do I have to bring Kibbie?

Moonlady May 7 2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl (Post 71665)
Hmm, shall we all plot out the usage of the building together. I count five stories, plus an attic with dormer windows. The attic would make a hostel-like bunk house for any MoMers that come to visit, and then the floor below that would be a communal gathering area with lots of comfy seating a big screen tv or two, a billiards table...

Hans, what level should we put our administrative offices on?

Sounds good to me. May I be permanent staff there? :evil: :notme:

SuzyQ May 7 2007 01:05 AM

I so need to visit there too!! Which floor for out of country vistors and their BIG families? I don't think I will need the services of the "Coffee Shop" next door though ..... I get munchies well enough all on my own thanks!

Anyway - way cool building!

Gwina May 7 2007 02:05 AM

LOL!!! :rofl: I have to tell my aunt about this, since she will be in Amsterdam next week. Too good to be true! Well, not that I'm a coffee fan or anything.. just saying the MoM crew might not get anything done if they were there! ::tee-hee::

P'ter May 7 2007 05:20 AM

I think the offices should be in the basement (below water level!) :evil:

Goldrider Thais May 7 2007 02:29 PM

it's just comfy isn't it? i like it. i'm all for a visit. don't worry, i'll ignore the neighbors as best i can...;)

Pam May 7 2007 03:37 PM

A whole floor will have to be the library. In the communal area there should be an international chocolate bar with the best the world has to offer in the way of chocolate delights :yum:

Hans May 7 2007 03:43 PM

Trust Pam to bring up something about an addiction... :erm: :lol:

P'ter May 7 2007 03:58 PM

At least her's is legal (in most civilised countries) :-)

Hans May 7 2007 04:08 PM

And the other only in really civilised countries :)

Cheryl May 7 2007 05:11 PM

And she did mention books before chocolate; chocolate bar approved! I was thinking that we needed a library too, let's put it on the third floor. Administrative offices on the second floor.

Moonlady, you want to be our receptionist on the first floor? We'll find a couple bouncers for you to help keep the riff-raff out.

edith May 7 2007 05:17 PM

third floor, we'll need more than one floor of books! How about a main reading room with galleries above, like in the National Library of Wales Not a very good photo I'm afraid, and it'd have to be more comfortable!

Cheryl May 7 2007 05:56 PM

One floor should do it, to house a very complete McCaffrey collection plus single copies of other SFF favorites. Hmm, but you're right that there might not be a lot of reading room. I think we'd have room for a nice comfy reading area on the second floor, and still enough room for admin offices.

What else goes on the first floor besides a reception area? Computers for MoM members to use? Hmm, and copies of some of Anne's books to give away.

Pam May 7 2007 07:19 PM

The first floor should have our "Anne McCaffrey Museum" Open to the public :) the gift shop will sell stuffed blue teddy bears, firelizards and coonies :D

Cheryl May 7 2007 07:52 PM

Ohhh, that sounds good Pam, Museum and Gift Shop on the first floor.

So right now it seems we have:
1st: Anne McCaffrey Museum and Gift Shop, Info Desk staffed by Moonlady, who can grant elevator passes to MoM members for the upper floors. Any volunteers for bouncers?

2nd: Admin offices, reading lounge

3rd: SFF Library and McCaffrey collection

4th: Kitchenette with chocolate bar, computers, lounge, and gameroom

5th: Bunkbeads and showers

Lily May 7 2007 09:43 PM

Should there be a special room for VERY distinguished guests?

PernesePhoenix May 7 2007 09:47 PM

a hidden suite behind the bookcasses with annes books? or just a private suite on the fifth? or the entire attic could be the suite. oh the possibilities

Lady Maelin May 7 2007 10:00 PM

Say how about letting me use part of the Attic for a resident MoM studio...then when I was there, I could do some portriats of the many visitors/members...the view looks like it is probably fantastic...not to mention great lighting...especially if you could put in a nice sized skylight!!!

Sandi May 7 2007 10:59 PM

How far back does it extend? Looks like a sort of extension on the back that should be enough room for a couple of decent suites. And Maelin you'll definitely need a good part of the attic with a skylight installed for your studio! Really, with so many artistic members maybe we should set up some sort of artists' aerie?

Becky May 7 2007 11:16 PM

I'll be there, when does it open???? :D

Kugai May 7 2007 11:51 PM

Cool! I was looking for a place to hide out in! :D ;)

Moonlady May 8 2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl (Post 71761)

Moonlady, you want to be our receptionist on the first floor? We'll find a couple bouncers for you to help keep the riff-raff out.

Sounds good to me. I know how to do that without too much schooling. :evil:

I love the idea of a library. You won't be able to pry ds#1 out of it. Ds#2 may come out periodically to look around. :shriek:

Chocolate is always good especially if we visit the coffee shop... must have chocolate.

Hans May 8 2007 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheryl (Post 71761)
And she did mention books before chocolate...

Hey, books are addictive, too :D

Hmm, the special suite and a few hotelrooms for visitors and invited guests could be housed in the attic; that way it gets to be a kind of club :)

The wine bar, serving mainly Benden wines, should be in the basement, with the small bistor serving Pernese food (who knows, maybe people will like rolls and we can start an international chain of Pern Takeways?

Lily May 8 2007 06:12 AM

Have to solve the "what exactly ARE meat rolls" debate then

Cheryl May 8 2007 08:04 AM

Sounds good Hans. And :lol: Lily!

J'han May 8 2007 08:21 AM

I always thought meat rolls were like sausages, those little ones you get at restaurants...

Soooo cool!

Is it just me, or are people implying there's more than coffee to that shop?

Hans May 8 2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J'han (Post 71820)
I always thought meat rolls were like sausages, those little ones you get at restaurants...

Soooo cool!

Is it just me, or are people implying there's more than coffee to that shop?

You should read the last para of my first post, J'han :)

In Amsterdam a coffeeshop sells soft drugs (legally). Can you imagine the non-suspecting tourists who wandered in to get a cup of coffee? :grin:
Mind you, they probably sell coffe there too but the tourist usually don't want their tea or coffee in that particualr environment (and smell).
For coffee in Amsterdam you go to a bar or café, not a coffeshop...:roll:

P'ter May 8 2007 04:16 PM

Well: it looks like we're setting the H.Q. up at least as a virtual one. R.P.H.Q. anyone?

Much more original than a mere weyr! :D

Lily May 8 2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans (Post 71829)
You should read the last para of my first post, J'han :)

In Amsterdam a coffeeshop sells soft drugs (legally). Can you imagine the non-suspecting tourists who wandered in to get a cup of coffee? :grin:
Mind you, they probably sell coffe there too but the tourist usually don't want their tea or coffee in that particualr environment (and smell).
For coffee in Amsterdam you go to a bar or café, not a coffeshop...:roll:

Hans, why is it then called a coffee shop?
You'd think they'd get more people in if they went for coffee first?

Hans May 9 2007 02:47 AM

Lily, beleve me, I haven't the faintest idea why they call or start calling it a coffeeshop.

Gwina May 9 2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily (Post 71785)
Should there be a special room for VERY distinguished guests?

Could this special room be like a tasting room for book lovers! Perhaps sitting down with actual writers and such?

::furious giggles:: I swear! I step out of my study for a minute, come back, and voila! There's a furnished, not too mention well-run MoM building awaiting visitors! You guys and gals are good! Real good! Yippee! We can even use the recipes. :bouncy: