A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Games and Miscellany (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Game: The Last Letter - Word Game (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=5946)

P'ter Nov 5 2009 06:07 PM

Re: The Last Letter - Word Game

I keep hoping that if I poke it nastily, it'll mutate into a complete but understated brain.

jube Nov 5 2009 06:46 PM

That could be an understatement :D so yodelling on to another dimension.

**By the way P'ter, 5 LW books are on their way to you :D Hope you'll enjoy them.

P'ter Nov 6 2009 05:33 AM

Thank Goodness for that! So: which dimension do we go to next?

Sandi Nov 13 2009 10:03 PM

Keep sending thoughts outward and maybe one or two will blossom!

P'ter Nov 14 2009 08:42 AM

Perhaps we could go phor a swipht rephiphal of the phlogiston theory?

Sandi Nov 16 2009 09:04 PM

Ouch! That needs some consideration before i can come up with a comment!

P'ter Nov 17 2009 05:12 AM

That means that I've shut Sandi up? Wow! I'll retire to my little hut for a giggle.

jube Nov 17 2009 05:42 AM

Takes two to tango if that's the case!

Sandi Nov 17 2009 05:17 PM

Sooo, other opener over used already, I should say I got a hoot out of that one, P'ter, having spent my younger years with the last name, Phares (pronounced like the famous amusement park wheel ride).

P'ter Nov 17 2009 05:46 PM

Oh golly your ranting teachers could have had such real rare fun. "Are you paying attention Pheres, or are you off with the pharies?" "You look as though you're in a bit of a spin, Pheres."

Sandi Nov 17 2009 08:31 PM

Honestly, getting long expressive looks was the least of it. I remember at least one "adult" who looked me straight in the eye and informed me that is not the way to spell my own name! :faint:

P'ter Nov 18 2009 07:10 AM

Sounds like the lawyer called Bury (Bew-ree). One of his cases was being tried before a judge who WOULD call him Berry (despite polite corrections from said lawyer). During the Judge's summing-up me spotted Mr Bury chuckling to himself.

"What's so funny about my summing-up Mr Berry?"

"Nothing really Your Honour; I just realised that those twelve good citizens THINK they're sitting on the Jury."

Sorry about that!

When you find that "Ghoti" can logically be pronounced "fish" anything goes; especially with names. My last name is spelled Vessey in my branch of the family but variations include Vesci, Vesey & Veasey. And my teachers had great fun finding ALL the words that rhyme with it.

Sandi Nov 18 2009 11:31 AM

Unless it's serious, yes and official business, I soon learned to let people spell it any way they want.

P'ter Nov 18 2009 05:20 PM

I should suppose some French phorbears phor you as "phare" in French signiphies a lighthouse.

Sandi Nov 18 2009 06:30 PM

I did entertain early expectations since there was a French settlement near where my ancestors founded their farm, but evidence suggests they came from another US State years before the French contingent and a fractured and confusing line suggests the family originated in England.

P'ter Nov 19 2009 05:36 AM

In that case I suspect that it derived from Ferres (meaning an ironworker) which was quite common across Europe. There are numerous variations; even Ferrari derives from this. There was a Thomas le Ferrur in Yorkshire in 1275, earliest known written incidence.

The swap to 'ph' may well be because somebody had social aspirations: like Smith getting changed to Smythe, or Finch becoming ffinch.

Sandi Nov 19 2009 12:39 PM

I didn't suspect that link before. Very interesting theory. I know the "Ph" was used as early as the 1700's but I don't know a lot about them. It's also a name that appears in some translations of the Bible and I wondered if they attached it from that. It's a curiosity but I don't expect to ever know for sure.

P'ter Nov 19 2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

In Greek Mythology, Pheres (Φέρης (genitive Φέρητος)), son of Cretheus, was the founder of Pherae in Thessaly. He fled there from Iolcus after his half-brother, Pelias, seized the throne. His son Admetus was the husband of the famous Alcestis, who died in his stead and was rescued by Heracles.

Homer also used the word to describe the centaurs.
How about that then?

Splendipherous!

Sandi Nov 19 2009 07:59 PM

You're either near solving my ancestral mystery or you're leading me farther and farther afield. Which is it? We wonders, yesss, we wonders!

jube Nov 19 2009 10:47 PM

Easily resolved or really giving Sandi, food for thought ;) Did anyone find out for definite? By the way, I know one branch of my family produced a famous hotel chain, unfortunately it wasn't my branch of the family ...... at least my branch produced the mayor for one of the suburbs in Melbourne :D and that'll be my only claim to fame :lol: as the rest of us are all normal.

P'ter Nov 20 2009 06:50 AM

You Darned Young Girl! What a selelction of letters to give me!

Sandi Nov 20 2009 04:13 PM

Unlike dangling good little ewes and gees ?

jube Nov 21 2009 04:01 AM

I got edge out all of that, Sandi as an anagram :D Cool bananas!

P'ter Nov 21 2009 06:30 AM

EEKK!!

jube Nov 21 2009 07:50 AM

P'ter, you're a knockout, dingding, round 1 goes to P'ter and ummm.....yep, can't think of anything more to say at the moment :lol:

P'ter Nov 21 2009 08:02 AM

That's totally topnotch! :roll:

Sandi Nov 21 2009 03:39 PM

So you're happy with your award?

P'ter Nov 21 2009 07:06 PM

Oh yes everytime; with out doubt I eat such praise 'yet am strangely empty'

Sandi Nov 21 2009 09:06 PM

Take the time to enjoy your accolades. You can eat when you turn off the compie!

jube Nov 22 2009 03:08 AM

Eating those empty awards are not quite as fulfilling as being around good friends :D and enjoying a good meal of tatties and meat.

Sandi Nov 24 2009 01:37 PM

Good eating yields happy faces.

P'ter Nov 24 2009 02:43 PM

and a darn good stomach

Kugai Nov 24 2009 11:20 PM

Do Nacho's help?

:joker:

P'ter Nov 25 2009 05:16 AM

Only as a sop to my poor depraved digestion.

Sandi Dec 7 2009 09:34 PM

If you pour red wine to go with them it might help. I've heard some of the Aussie wines are pretty good.

P'ter Dec 8 2009 11:15 AM

There are some lovely understated wines from the Riverina region of NSW; which is where Dragongirl hangs out.

Kugai Dec 8 2009 10:12 PM

Great. Let's all drink Aussie wines this Christmas.

P'ter Dec 9 2009 05:41 AM

So, seriously folks, every party needs necessary liquidity to carry the entity logically to its finale: the barbecuing of the koupray.

(One Christmas I donated two bottles of Crozes Hermitage to the church for use at midnight communion. A number of the congregation thought that there'd been a miracle --- the wine tasted good! :D)

jube Dec 9 2009 06:47 AM

Welcome to the You Yangs of yonder reproach. And Dragongirl's not the only one to hang out in the Aussie version of the French Riverina :lol: but I live on the Mexican side of the border ;)

P'ter Dec 9 2009 07:00 AM

And (as far as I can tell) DG lives on the Canadian side of the border. :D

I was being YYYYYYs (for once), but under such riposts I'll surrender.