A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Elizabeth Kerner (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Elizabeth's carpal tunnel surgery (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8064)

StevenB Jan 16 2011 05:02 PM

Elizabeth's carpal tunnel surgery

Just to let everyone know that Elizabeth had carpal tunnel surgery in her left hand on 13th January 2011. The good news is that she's recovering well, and this is the final operation needed to get her back to normal again. The bad news is that she'll be one-handed for a while so can't type a lot at the computer (although I'm amazed at how much she can do with her "wrong" hand - I guess being left-handed makes you more able to be ambidexterous). The stiches come out after 2 weeks, but it will take a few more weeks before her wrist settles down to normal again.

edith Jan 16 2011 06:03 PM

Re: Elizabeth's carpal tunnel surgery

:group: I hope that she recovers soon.

Sandi Jan 16 2011 08:15 PM

Thanks for the update, Steven. Give her our best wishes for a quick and complete recovery!

eann Jan 17 2011 07:18 AM

Get well soon, Elizabeth, so you can get back to typing again!

Hans Jan 17 2011 08:49 AM

Take it easy, Elizabeth, and a speedy recovery!

AnnMarie Jan 17 2011 01:29 PM

Heal fast, heal well, Elizabeth! ANd yeah, STeven...my mother says the same thing about left-handed folks...especially those who ever had to deal with nuns as teachers. (They FORCED her to use her right hand)

P'ter Jan 17 2011 05:47 PM

A quick dose of lansip should help

WandaSue Jan 17 2011 08:15 PM

Feel better soon, Elizabeth!!

GinnyStar Jan 18 2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnMarie (Post 172177)
Heal fast, heal well, Elizabeth! ANd yeah, STeven...my mother says the same thing about left-handed folks...especially those who ever had to deal with nuns as teachers. (They FORCED her to use her right hand)

<sinp>
I'm not too sure, but when my grandmother hurt her arm so bad she had to switch to the other hand.

Get well soon!

She using both hands well for she the crafty one!
Also my father has something related to his Polish roots. The tendons in his hands have curlled up so bad that he for a long time and still is used them good.

Lanen Jan 18 2011 05:47 AM

Thanks for the good wishes, everybody! And yes P'ter, wish I could fine some lansip for real! Luckily, I was never forced to write right-handed, but living as a lefty means you are forced into learning to use your right hand for complex tasks anyway. Screwdriver, anyone? Ladles? Bloody door handles?!

Never mind. Right hand plus a finger or two on my left, for now. Things will improve soon. Thanks again for your kind words, my friends.

Elizabeth

jube Jan 18 2011 06:19 AM

Glad to hear from you, Lanen. Hope you're feeling better. My hairdresser has it and she says it's a pain in the hand, living with it so she can only work x days of the week. She figures the rest of the week is enough to try and rest up for all the other things she wants to do.

Lanen Jan 18 2011 04:06 PM

Thanks, Jube. I had my right hand done in June, and the improvement is phenomenal. Hoping this will be the case for my left hand too. The doc says my left hand was much worse, so hoping improvement will be that much better...

Sandi Jan 18 2011 04:47 PM

We lefties had to learn to live in a right-handed world at an early age. I think it makes us better able to cope when our "using" hand is temporarily out of commission. I can do most things (even write) with my right hand when I have to. It stands to reason that your left would suffer the worse damage as it gets the most use. I hope it will heal quickly for you.

granath Jan 19 2011 08:14 AM

Get well soon, Lanen! My dad is one of the few almost completely ambidextrous righties I know or have heard about.

P'ter Jan 20 2011 05:10 AM

I knew a gymnast who was so equi-pedal that she had to have nail varnish just on the big toe of her right foot, like a billiard player playing spot-ball, or non-spot.

jube Jan 20 2011 03:11 PM

I'm right-handed but can sort of write with my left, except it looks like a kid learning to write-type of writing :rofl: I guess you learn to do things when you have to do so.

GinnyStar Jan 22 2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jube (Post 172261)
I'm right-handed but can sort of write with my left, except it looks like a kid learning to write-type of writing :rofl: I guess you learn to do things when you have to do so.

Sound like mine writing, right handed, but I don't think you can read it.

mawra Jan 23 2011 11:13 AM

I hope you get all your fingers in working order soon.

eann Jan 25 2011 04:35 AM

A woman in the office where I volunteer on Fridays had hers done recently, Elizabeth, and is doing really well with it. Hope you heal quick!

StevenB Jan 27 2011 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone. We're going back to the hospital tomorrow for a final checkup and to have the stitches removed. After that the final stage of the healing process can begin.

eann Jan 28 2011 03:02 AM

Heal quickly, Elizabeth. Dragons can be impatient!

P'ter Jan 28 2011 05:48 AM

Their motto is 'DESIDERO!'

(I found that an old alternative version of my name VESCI is good Latin: it's the infinitive of the verb 'vescor' and means 'to feed upon'. Also a goodish dragon motto!)

Samsara Feb 1 2011 05:52 AM

I hope you are feeling better Elizabeth. My mum also had carpal tunnel surgery in both her hands, so I know how debilitating the condition can be. For an author, it must be one of the worst things. I'm glad to hear you have had it fixed up, and are recovering well. :)

Lanen Feb 5 2011 08:04 PM

Thanks again, folks. Hiya Annie, good to hear from you! :bouncy: And yes, the dragons are bashing about in my head, being frustrated that I can't type for more than about half an hour at the moment. Still, you'd be amazed at what you can do in half an hour. :D

As I mentioned, the nerve in my left hand was great deal more compressed than the one in my right hand, :ouch: so there's a lot more discomfort this time, but I am assured that this too shall pass.

The sooner the better. Bless you all for your kind thoughts, I really appreciate them. :group:

Brenda Feb 5 2011 08:56 PM

Have you tried dictating into a recorder to type later?

Lanen Feb 8 2011 05:52 AM

Brenda - yes, I have. Unfortunately, I am a bit of an actress and can create emphasis and double meanings and emotional states with my voice, which I then have to add into the writing and it never works well. For me, the spoken word and the written word are so dissimilar that there is just no point.
Interesting that I have had that suggestion so many times from so many people. Thanks for the thought, though.

Golden Talisath Feb 9 2011 02:42 PM

Hope you recover soon.:group:

Lanen Feb 9 2011 04:06 PM

Thanks, GT. It appears to vary from day to day at the moment. A general improving trend, but still a pest. All good wishes greatly appreciated!

mawra Feb 9 2011 11:49 PM

Don't over do it and you should not have any problems.

Lanen Feb 23 2011 09:31 AM

Thanks Mawra. It's still swollen, so can't overdo it because I'm incapable. Sigh. Still getting better.

Anneli Feb 23 2011 06:46 PM

Glad to hear you're getting better :) sorry to hear it's such a long business :(

granath Feb 27 2011 07:08 AM

Glad to hear you're getting better! The hardest thing about any long convalescence is having the patience to wait until you're well enough...

Lady Maelin Mar 5 2011 12:50 AM

I am glad that your showing improvment...even if it's slower than you were wanting, it's still improvment. It just doesn't help at bit though, when you have so many things that you're wanting to do...Hand in there and it will be all better soon.

Nina Mar 9 2011 07:14 AM

Hi Elisabeth,

Wishing you to get well soon!!

Sometimes carpal tunnel syndrome is a result of lack of the vitamin B6, and I avoided surgery by taking large amounts of B6. I have a deficiency in absorbing B-vitamins from the food, and I have to take B-vitamins in large doses.

This might not apply to you, Elisabeth, but I think, however, that it would be worth your while to ask your doctor to take a bloodsample and check your vitamin levels. Check for D-vitamin too!

This advice applies to anyone getting old like me :irk: or having autoimmune illnesses like me :irk:

Wishing everyone the best :) and a greeting for Steven B as well :D